Post your K Series technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Clockdoctor
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

K75c mirrors...... handed?

Postby Clockdoctor » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Newbies first forum question.......
I've just bought a K75c in what can only be described as aesthetically challenged condition. It's mechanically sound, with a fully documented 44,000 mile history.
I intend to restore the bike to its original red smoke glory using original parts new or used.
The left hand mirror is missing. What I'd like to know is whether or not the mirrors on a K75c are handed? I've searched the forum and cannot seem to find this info.
There are mirrors available for sale out there, but do I actually need to buy a 'left hand' mirror, or are left and right the same item?
I haven't looked closely to check if the mounting threads are different on each side.
Answers gratefully received.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: K75c mirrors...... handed?

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:09 pm

The following RealOEM Parts Fiche will allow you to determine the answer to your question - if the mirrors are handed then their BMW Part Numbers will be different.

Also, a lot of the BMW Parts have the Part Number marked on them.
A BMW Part Number looks like this: '61 11 1 244 098' with or without spaces between the numbers.
It can also look like this: '1244098' usually with no spaces between the numbers.
'61 11 1 244 098' and '1244098' is the same part (the last 7 digits are the same as the larger number) except that the 7-digit Part Number is the OLD Part Numbering System used by BMW, now superseded by the later 11-digit system as shown.

RealOEM Parts Fiche

Below is a link to the RealOEM BMW Parts Fiche - put the last 7 digits of your VIN into the 'Serial Number' box and select 'Search' - the result of the Search will be given at the bottom of the page and will identify that VIN.

Using your VIN in this way identifies the EXACT build of your bike and the appropriate Part Numbers.
The diagrams are also useful showing how the parts are incorporated in the assembly, however, note that the diagrams tend to be generic and may not be exact for your build although the Parts List will be:

From the VIN result, you can then go to the Parts Diagrams and get the correct BMW Part Number for every component of the bike.

Using the VIN number in this way means that ONLY the parts specific to that VIN will be listed in the Parts List below the diagrams and is the safest way to get the correct BMW parts for your bike:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=M&arch=0

I suggest that you get hold of a Haynes or Clymer manual for your bike as each contain a wealth of information and tips on maintaining and/or rebuilding a bike. They also contain Wiring Diagrams.

There are lots of experts on this forum who can help you out. It is better to post a query here beforehand than dive in regardless and maybe break something through lack of knowledge.

You can get new and used genuine BMW parts for your bike from:
Local BMW Dealer (new parts only) https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/home.html#/filter-all
Motorworks https://www.motorworks.co.uk
Motobins (new parts only) https://www.motobins.co.uk
James Sherlock https://www.james-sherlock.co.uk

All above trusted suppliers and helpful with advice on purchases. The Motorworks website also accepts BMW Part Numbers (no spaces).

If you put your location in your profile it helps for assistance, meets etc and we don't have to keep asking you where you are. :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Clockdoctor
Forum User

Postby Clockdoctor » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:27 am

Wow!
Thanks for the very informative response to my first simple enquiry Ced.
Checking RealOEM now to obtain part fitment information.
This resource will really help during the restoration of the bike.
Onward and upward!

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:25 am

Hi
I have a K75 and R100R, the mirrors are Functionally the same, BWT the R100GS mirrors work just as well as the originals, so much so I have forgotten which mirror came from each bike.

I have a few K75C bits as well that I probably never use, they date from when I had thoughts to build a K75GS or a K75SEG copy. Ask what I have spare if you get stuck

George
Member 21, R100R, and an unused K75

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi
looked at my K they seem to be the same side to side
George

Clockdoctor
Forum User

Postby Clockdoctor » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:27 am

Thanks George.
One point, when you state that the mirrors "are functionally the same", that can't be correct surely? Everybody knows that the view in the left hand mirror is a special 'left hand' view only, and cannot be swapped with the right............
Seriously though, thanks for the very helpful information. If I get stuck, I'll message you about your possible spare mirror.

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:52 am

Hi
not sure if there is a spare mirror in stock

George

Return to “K Series Q&A's”