Post your K Series technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

PaulR
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

K1300S

Postby PaulR » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:11 pm

Hi everyone

Some of you may have seen the I have just joined the forum and I was hoping to be able to use some of your extensive knowledge to become a fully fledged member please......

In a nutshell I am looking to buy a K1300S over the coming months and to be fair, I will be at the bottom end of the market - circa £4k.

I have seen a few come and go around this price with 25k-35k on the clock, which seems fine to me - assuming a reasonably good service history.

But would any of you know of anything specific I should be looking out for ? Especially where I am happy to buy private and have a good poke around myself.

Two points that I am aware of are corrosion ( in particular to the fork arms and shaft drive) and the ESA.

Is there a definitive way to confirm the ESA is fully functional and in good condition ?

Also do any of you know, did all models from 2009 onwards come with ASC as std or was it an optional extra ? And if extra is there any specific way of knowing it is present ?

And lastly, would it have to go to a BMW dealer to ensure that all recalls have been done ? Would they do that without having to have it serviced there ? Although if any of you have any suggestions for good (non BMW) servicing local to me in Huddersfield, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Paul.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14

Re: K1300S

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:16 pm

I’ve used Andy in Honley, can’t be far from you
http://www.mollspringsmotorcycles.co.uk/
And found him very good.
For the ESA, with the bike on the prop stand and the engine running, cycle through the ESA settings and you should see the bike rise and fall. Let it settle on each setting for maybe ten seconds before moving to the next setting.
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
Kawasaki Versys 650

Mike D
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Mike D » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:42 pm

If you take your VIN number to a main dealer, they should be able to see what recalls have been carried (if any).

If buying private, then try to borrow a GS-911 diagnostic tool (or similar), it only takes a few minutes to check for stored fault codes.

Problems:

1. I have seen wear in the suspension ball joints, and they can be difficult to change.

2. Rattling clutches

3. There were problems with the oil pump drive chain guide. Some bikes were fine, and supposedly if you have one with over 20K miles it shouldn't be a problem. Again if the work was carried out (by a main dealer) there should be a record of it.

Mike

PaulR
Forum User

Postby PaulR » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:45 pm

Cheers for the above Mike & Keith.

Both useful pointers and appreciated.

I'll have a look for the diagnostic kit for it as have used similar thing for the 4 wheeled bmws that I had.

Mike D
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Mike D » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:59 pm

If interested, The BMW Club UK have the diagnostic kits in their tool hire scheme (only available to fully paid up members). There may be members of this forum someone near you who would be prepared to let you borrow one.

Mike

Return to “K Series Q&A's”