bike stopped on run

Post your K Series technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

pmage2
Forum User
Country of Residence: wales

bike stopped on run

Postby pmage2 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:02 pm

Hi all bike is a k1200rs on a 2000 plate went for run to day put fresh fuel in it went on my merry way went some 20 miles no probs going down a hill bike cut out got to a safe place couldnt bumb starte it on the hill all ignition lights okay bike turns over no probs any body got any ideas yours paul

pmage2
Forum User
Country of Residence: wales

Re: bike stopped on run

Postby pmage2 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:54 am

Hi all bike is a k1200rs on a 2000 plate went for run to day put fresh fuel in it went on my merry way went some 20 miles no probs going down a hill bike cut out got to a safe place couldnt bumb start it on the hill all ignition lights okay bike turns over no probs any body got any ideas yours paul
hi all had a look at the plugs good spark but plugs are dry when i took one out after trying to start it yours paul.

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:22 am

Hi
Have you got fuel? -- How do you know? Have you checked?
Is fuel coming out of the tank? -- Blocked hose, failed pump, blocked filter, no power to pump, water in tank
Is it coming out of an injector? -- Blocked injectors, return pressure regulator not pressurising fuel rail

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:28 am

Start a diagnosis path ....

Does the petrol smell like it should (Contaminated fuel a definite possibility!) Drain and replace and when was the last time that the bike had a fuel filter ?? Every 24000 miles is the recommended

Can you hear the Fuel Pump prime as usual ? But, Just before you dive in! Have your fingers on the fuel line for the next bit

Can you feel the fuel lines to the Injectors swell a bit when the Pump primes? (Indicating that the pump is developing pressure!)

Presuming you have a Yes to both of those ? You then need to check the Injectors If you are up to it you can slack them back from the head and spin the motor over WITH THE COIL WIRES DISCONNECTED! the small trigger wires not the Main HT leads
You want to see an atomising spray if you have got bad fuel you can get a water pistol effect which just soaks the plugs

And finally setting the plugs on the head have you got spark ?? Actually probably better to do this first before you try the Injector thing "Just in Case!"

I love those K12RS they are a fantastic bike!

Well except they are a nightmare to work on for clutches and intermediate shafts I have a post in here showing how "even the old hands can fluff it!"
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:43 am

Found it Although there seems to be an anomaly with an image address at the start

Even the Old hands can fluff it sometimes

"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:01 am

Found it Although there seems to be an anomaly with an image address at the start

#-o
Like I've always said, if the people who designed these monstrosities actually had to work on them, they would not come up with such ridiculous and complicated designs. ](*,)
1997 BMW R1100R

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:54 am

#-o
Like I've always said, if the people who designed these monstrosities actually had to work on them, they would not come up with such ridiculous and complicated designs. ](*,)
That is where Mercedes excel by such huge margins over any other manufacturer. If you are struggling to get at something on a Mercedes then you are doing it wrong. BMW, Citroen and most of all Renault are at the other end of the spectrum in that respect. Unfortunately since Mercedes got close to Renault little things have crept in that are clearly just bizarre. Renault are the only car manufacturer I know that designed a ball joint in such a way that you had to crack the taper before you could remove the nut, total recipe for disaster.

Interesting fact about Renault: They are the only car manufacturer in the world that can make every single part of the car from raw materials (electronic chips excluded). They even have their own vineyards so no need to buy alcohol for new unveilings. :)

Return to “K Series Q&A's”