Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

beemerrider
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

20w50 anyone tried this ?

Postby beemerrider » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Hey all,

I’m looking for a 20w50 as recommended for my 1999 R1100RT that has 117k on the clock (think most its life it’s been on 15w50)

Anyway... I’ve read a lot on here about recommendations for the Morris V twin mineral / correct spec car oil 20w50 etc,

However has anyone used the Silkolene V-Twin mineral 20w50 ? I know it’s meant to be an alternative for the Harley boys, had anyone here used it or would recommend it for my bike ?

Cheers

beemerrider
Forum User

Re: 20w50 anyone tried this ?

Postby beemerrider » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:38 pm

It’s running Motul 5000 10w40 and just been changed before I bought it so unsure whether to dump it and change to something more suitable ? (Or is this oil fine ?)
Cheers

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 pm

Well, at the risk of sticking my neck out on an oil thread.... :smile:

I can't see anything wrong with continuing to use this oil which looks fine especially for use at the lower ambient temperatures.
Leave it in until the next scheduled oil change if you are mainly riding in the UK and not in heatwaves or London traffic!
My own 1996 R1100RT (80,000 miles) has always been run on a mineral 20W/50 oil summer and winter in the UK and abroad.

If I were going to use the bike on serious long distance runs in high ambient temperatures or congested traffic only then would I consider changing to a 20W/50 oil either mineral or semi-synthetic.
Don't use a FULLY synthetic oil in your R1100RT as this oil does not hold particles in suspension for filter removal as a well as a mineral or semi-synthetic base.

The Motul 5000 10w40 is a semi-synthetic oil with likely a lower ZDDP content than the mineral Morris V-Twin 20W/50 or Valvoline VR1 Racing 20W/50 oils.

A high ZDDP (around 1200ppm) is said to be better anti-wear for the old-fashioned valve-gear used on the Boxer engines and modern oils tend to reduce this additive as it can adversely affect catalytic converters.
Your 1999 R1100RT does not have a cat so using a high ZDDP oil will cause no problems for you.

Info: https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-918-motul- ... e-oil.aspx
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

airhead_irl
Forum User
Country of Residence: Ireland

Postby airhead_irl » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:53 am

I recently used a "synthetic based" oil in my R1200R (2007). How does that fare as regards suitability I wonder ? I just checked that ACEA and API ratings matched the manual and off I went. I originally looked for mineral oil but they had none in stock.

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:30 am

I recently used a "synthetic based" oil in my R1200R (2007). How does that fare as regards suitability I wonder ? I just checked that ACEA and API ratings matched the manual and off I went. I originally looked for mineral oil but they had none in stock.

'Synthetic based' is likely a blend of synthetic and mineral.
If it meets the bike oil specs I wouldn't worry.
I cannot get my oil requirements locally so always buy online.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Old Foxy
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Old Foxy » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:49 am

Hi,

I used the Silkolene V-Twin 20-50 in my 1989 R100RT and it was fine. I was using Castrol 15W-40 previously, but the Silkolene produced a quieter engine (at least, that is what I felt). Never had any problems with the 20-50. I reckoned the R100 was just a V-twin with a very wide angle between the cylinders!

Old Foxy
2018 K1600 GTL
1989 R100RT (sold)
1979 R100T (sold)

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:20 am

I tried 20/50 in my 1100r for a while, but when touring Europe it got rather low, well off the sight glass in fact, and also seemed to use more than usual. Finding some equivalent dinosaur juice to top it up proved impossible. I ended pouring some 10/40 into it for the rest of the trip.

I had a litre bottle I planned to take with me, but forgot it. :oops:

I first used the 20/50 after upgrading the cam chain tensioner, and it seemed to run quieter, but obviously that could have been the new tensioner.....

My friend who owns a bike garage tells me he puts 10/40 in all the BMWs he services for the Bloodbikes. Not actually sure if it is full synthetic or not. I paid £40 for a filter plus four litres of oil.

I honestly think oil is oil is oil, and it makes very little difference in the grand scheme of things. Every time I see one of these threads there will be guys with 200,000 miles on their bike who have always used every type of oil available with equal results, from full synthetic 10/40, to ancient Castrol GTX 20/50.

THE most important thing is that you change it regularly and don’t rag your bike until it has warmed up properly. :cool:
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:22 pm

THE most important thing is that you change it regularly and don’t rag your bike until it has warmed up properly. :cool:
+1.

If it meets BMW's spec for the bike, and it's bought from a reputable supplier, it'll be fine....whatever it is. :smile:

As an aside, I buy Mercedes-branded fully synthetic for one of our cars, from a Mercedes dealer - it costs £38 for 10ltrs, including delivery, and it meets the spec that Mercedes set for our car. There are people on one of the Mercedes forums I use who happily pay 3 times that for Mobil 1....which also meets the spec that Mercedes set for our car. Go figure!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

macplaxton
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Ireland

Postby macplaxton » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:26 pm

I've ran my oilhead with some 10W40 (as something is better than nothing), but in doing so it's a rattly thing when hot.

Usually use 20W50, but finding it (even in some bike shops) is hard work. I ended up with this before from the motor factors.

https://pemco.de/en/fluid/car-engine-oi ... 102-20w-50

They only had one on the shelf the other day (4L), but I asked and they had more out back, so took another couple - €51 for three. If they had any twenty litre drums I would have take one. I have TOO many old cars to feed.
'99 R1100RT Image

beemerrider
Forum User

Postby beemerrider » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:19 am

Thanks for all the responses guys,

I think I will stick with the 10w40 for now and change to a 15w50 if I can get hold of it on the next change if readily available.

I believe it’s more ambient temperatures we need to be aware of rather than mineral vs semi,

Cheers

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:50 pm

+1.

If it meets BMW's spec for the bike, and it's bought from a reputable supplier, it'll be fine....whatever it is. :smile:

As an aside, I buy Mercedes-branded fully synthetic for one of our cars, from a Mercedes dealer - it costs £38 for 10ltrs, including delivery, and it meets the spec that Mercedes set for our car. There are people on one of the Mercedes forums I use who happily pay 3 times that for Mobil 1....which also meets the spec that Mercedes set for our car. Go figure!

Pete
I watched a video about some guys who changed out the engine oil in a Honda car for WD40. It was a bit of an old beater, but they thrashed this thing and it still ran. Then they got fed up and parked it, wedged it wide open throttle, bouncing off the rev limiter, for ten minutes or more. The whole exhaust was glowing red, right through to the tail pipe. Then the motor bogged down and died.
Then the motor burst into flames.
Then the whole car did. =D>

This is just a short clip from the ten minute video. The guy yelling is annoying as hell.....

https://youtu.be/6vEsrM-yuCY
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”