R1100RS dangerous design fault.

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

andys
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

R1100RS dangerous design fault.

Postby andys » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:59 pm

The lower fairing infill pieces were covered in a self adhesive heat reflective material which I took off today as they're looking a bit shabby.
What I saw horrified me.
I've heard of paint bubbling as a result of the heat from the headers but mine are like burnt toast.
I'm amazed this wasn't the subject of a safety recall.
:shock:

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: R1100RS dangerous design fault.

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:04 pm

This is similar to what can happen to the 'Sharks Fins' on the R1100RT.

One cause, and it only has to happen once for the damage to be done, is that the bike has been left idling on the Mainstand or in stalled traffic for too long which causes the Header Pipes to glow red hot through lack of cooling airflow.

An even more disastrous consequence of the above circumstance, is that the engine oil and the engine crankcase overheat causing the Oil Sight Glass to pop out under crankcase pressure immediately losing 2/3 or more of the engine oil.

I had a situation many years back with my R1100RT where I had it idling on the Mainstand just prior to setting off and was distracted by an incoming landline telephone call.
After 30 minutes I remembered about the bike - I could smell the heat and the oil before I even saw it - the Shark's Fins were burnt and blistered and the side fairings above the cylinders were buckled - but the Oil Sight Glass had stayed put.

Never again did I leave my bike idling when unattended and I always ride off within 2 minutes of starting or shut off the engine.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Nick h.
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Nick h. » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:52 am

Blame it on the previous owner! O:)

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:04 am

My bike came from Japan where it gets extremely hot in the summer.
Perhaps BMW should have issued a warning not to ride the bike in heavy traffic in the hotter months.

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:41 pm

Never again did I leave my bike idling when unattended and I always ride off within 2 minutes of starting or shut off the engine.

Ahhh, now I know why you leave your fairing lowers off, in case you get another phone call and forget again.... it's an age thing :grin: :grin: :grin:
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Bumble, my 700 Transalp.
Gupta, my 350 Bullet.
Sundance, my 500T.
Sold my Airheads, what an idiot, but Honda is also great.
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:54 pm

[quote="windmill john" post_id=202066 time=15
Ahhh, now I know why you leave your fairing lowers off, in case you get another phone call and forget again.... it's an age thing :grin: :grin: :grin:
[/quote]

I think I just forgot to put them back on initially John! :grin:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:47 am

There is a warning "Not to leave the bike idling" in the Owners manuals as damage to fairing lowers may occur
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:52 am

There is a warning "Not to leave the bike idling" in the Owners manuals as damage to fairing lowers may occur
My manuals in Japanese which is my excuse but its still not very good is it.
Crawling through heavy traffic at a few mph is pretty much the same as idling, so perhaps they should have warned owners not to use their bikes in heavy city traffic.
The thing is it would have been such an easy thing to resolve.

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:02 am

My manuals in Japanese which is my excuse but its still not very good is it.
Crawling through heavy traffic at a few mph is pretty much the same as idling, so perhaps they should have warned owners not to use their bikes in heavy city traffic.
The thing is it would have been such an easy thing to resolve.
Queuing up at immigration in Folkestone last summer, super hot, very slow, my 1100r was starting to clock and clank as the oil turned to water in the heat. I turned it off and pushed it eventually, a cars length every few minutes, no idea what was making things go so slow.
1997 BMW R1100R
1993 Honda Transalp 600

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:17 am

My car engine stops every time I come to a halt and release the brake (the handbrake comes on automatically). Then, when I touch the accelerator, the engine starts, handbrake releases and off we go.
I often do this on the bike - when stopping for any length of time, I kill the engine in first gear and release the clutch. Less heat, fewer emissions, less wear on the clutch, no clang going into first with the engine running. I have to wait and see if the starter etc suffers premature wear (no issue so far - 35,000 miles and counting .....).
I didn't start this on my current bike but previous bikes have had issues with heat build up in slow / stationary traffic leading to a roasted leg (not on a Boxer) or, on a previous Boxer, sounds such as described by KH, accompanied by a very distinct smell of hot engine - I thought I might have done serious damage.
Club member #480 (membership up to date !)
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby milleplod » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:29 am

I think anyone with a hint of mechanical knowledge (sympathy?!) would realise that any aircooled engine that doesn't have a fan of some sort will overheat in the right (wrong!) conditions - it's not rocket science really. Perhaps owners who'd moved from a more mainstream engine design were blissfully unaware....until they wondered what the noise and smell were! :lol:

pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

andys
Forum User

Postby andys » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:41 pm

I think anyone with a hint of mechanical knowledge (sympathy?!) would realise that any aircooled engine that doesn't have a fan of some sort will overheat in the right (wrong!) conditions - it's not rocket science really. Perhaps owners who'd moved from a more mainstream engine design were blissfully unaware....until they wondered what the noise and smell were! :lol:

pete
Usually after an engine overheats damage will occur.
Very often the cylinder head is the first victim.
The problem here is quite simply that the plastic infill panels are sighted too close to the header pipes, not necessarily overheating of the engine itself.
These bikes have an oil temperature gauge.
The hottest conditions I've ridden my bike in was in the south of France where I was trickling stop start through tail backs at a walking pace in unbearable heat for about 30 minutes.
The oil temp did rise, but not significantly above the normal range.

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”