Stahlibus self bleeders

Post your Oilhead technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

marco1100
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Stahlibus self bleeders

Postby marco1100 » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:53 pm

Query - has anyone fitted the Stahlibus self bleed nipples ( from Motorworks) to their callipers ? On the front left hand caliper when I fit the supplied nipple, correct for my ‘98 1100S, non abs, it is slightly longer than the original with a couple of threads showing when fitted - would this be a problem ? ( fluid loss ?). Also, on the right hand caliper there is no “normal” bleed nipple, just an extended piece ( cylindrical) with a small Allen key headed plug - what is this ?
Cheers

george baker
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: uk

Re: Stahlibus self bleeders

Postby george baker » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:04 pm

Hi
welcome to the forum.

Please tell us more about yourself, your skills & experience, so those more expert than I am, can judge the level of detail in their reply

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

marco1100
Forum User

Postby marco1100 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:13 am

66- been riding since I was 18, had many bikes, several bmw’s, fairly competent on the maintenance front tho leave internal works to the experts.
Bought the 1100S - non abs - in excellent condition- after losing my wife ( sold our 3 bikes as there was too many memories of our riding together over 26 years) as needed something to occupy myself with, both riding and tinkering.
Thought the Stahlibus self bleeds would be a good fitment to ease fluid change - rear fitted perfectly but when fitting the left hand side front there were 3 or 4 threads showing ( the thread length being slightly longer than the original bleed nipple) my concern being could fluid make its way up the thread ? On the right hand caliper front I see there is no nipple as such just a cylindrical casting on the caliper with a hex head blanking screw - unsure what this is ?
I’m thinking of leaving the front as is and only fitting the bleed nipple when changing fluid.
I’m also treating bike to a 40k service with local dealer, whom I’ve used numerous times, and realise this will include fluid check, change but would still like to settle my mind over the above questions.
Cheers - Marco

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:22 am

Never used the Stahlbus bleed nipples so I can't comment... never had any significant difficulty bleeding bike brakes the 'usual' way.

I can say, however, that a couple of threads showing on the conventional nipple will not, of itself, cause any problem. There might be a slight weep round the threads in conventional bleeding but once the nipple is tightened, the seal is made by the taper on the it and the tapered seat in the caliper (or wherever) so fluid doesn't go as far as the thread. There can be an issue with air leakage back into the system when using a 'vacuum' type bleeder but I wouldn't use one anyway. There are reasons why they aren't a particularly good idea.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

keiththeoutfitter1
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby keiththeoutfitter1 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:39 am

I believe that the cylindrical object on the rh caliper is a device used at the factory to fill the brake fluid. Again, as I understand, it can be removed and a normal bleed nipple substituted.
On my 1150, the cylinder was connected to the caliper with a short flexible pipe.

Just checked and found this which confirms the above

https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/1 ... t-is-this/
R1200RT
K1100RS + EZS Rally Sidecar
BMW K75C

marco1100
Forum User

Postby marco1100 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:56 pm

Thanks guys - yep, that gives me an understanding re the right hand side - think when I take bike in for the 40k service in November I’ll ask them to remove it and fit the Stahlibus nipples- as someone stated, brakes are not to be messed with and I don’t want to be in any doubt re their performance.
My. Previous BMW’s - between 1983 and now - K100, K100RS, K1100RS, R1200GS, F650GS, F800R, K1200RS, R1200RS - each of the K’s and R’s got heavier every time the new model was introduced- I found the wonder bike R1200RS to be very tyre sensitive, once the front slightly worn handling went, also seemed front heavy, and heavy to move around - I find my R1100S to be very clickable, gives me all the performance I need and is lovely to look at - and I’m told values are appreciating - but after loosing my wife to a heart attack, this ideal to keep me riding and having something to tinker with in the garage - my anti depressant 👍

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:30 am

this ideal to keep me riding and having something to tinker with in the garage - my anti depressant 👍
Worked for me... Good luck!

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Jeff Highland
Forum User
Country of Residence: Australia

Postby Jeff Highland » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:45 am

I have fitted another brand of auto bleeder nipples, they work well. The thread has sealing compound on it but this is to stop air entry not hold brake fluid pressure. They seal against the seat in the caliper as normal when fully tightened but when backed off a 1/4 turn they will allow flow of fluid and air out but not back in. When clear you just fully tighten. This is great for one person bleeding

Return to “Oilhead (R1100/1150/Cruiser) Q&A's”