Proof of manufacture date?

Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Rob Frankhamr
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Proof of manufacture date?

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:04 am

I've done this recently for my bike which was first registered March 1981 but was actually built in June 1978 and its the build date which determines the bikes age.
Write to info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com who will send a form and instructions as to what proof you have -ie frame and engine serial number - plus payment of a fee for their trouble.
A response arrived within a few days confirming the build date and this was posted to the DVLA who subsequently wrote to say that their records have been updated showing my bike as built in 1978 and that a replacement V5C would be sent out in due course. That was in January but not shown up yet! It won't qualify for Historic status until January 2019 if my understanding of the rules is correct.
Eddie B
Hi Eddie,

You might want to chase the V5. I did my R60/6 in February and the new V5 was received within two weeks.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

stevepeanut
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby stevepeanut » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:21 pm

I followed the dvla instructions on their website and took my v5 to the post office to get it changed to historic. What a nightmare, the post office didn’t have a clue, they weren’t even aware that the could do it and just didn’t seem interested. In the end I had to load up the historic section on Dvla’s website onto my phone, and slide my phone under the glass and let the lady read the website so could see that it was their job to do it. Eventually got it sorted and sent off. Looking forward to getting free tax.

Rob Frankhamr
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:53 am

I followed the dvla instructions on their website and took my v5 to the post office to get it changed to historic. What a nightmare, the post office didn’t have a clue, they weren’t even aware that the could do it and just didn’t seem interested. In the end I had to load up the historic section on Dvla’s website onto my phone, and slide my phone under the glass and let the lady read the website so could see that it was their job to do it. Eventually got it sorted and sent off. Looking forward to getting free tax.
Sad.. no wonder the Post Office is falling over. I have to say my experience was quite different... No, the lady on the counter didn't know about the setup (don't suppose it's something they come across every day... or even month) but she and her colleague looked it up... took a couple of minutes and they found clear instructions. No problem.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

k100john
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby k100john » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:22 pm

And when I did it last year for my R60/6 the lady in the village shop/post office knew all about the system and explained it to me! Maybe Hampshire villages have lots of old vehicles?
jp

2004 K1200GT (now sold)
1993 R80RT
1976 R60/6

stevepeanut
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby stevepeanut » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:17 pm

I finally got my free road tax, what a hassle it was. See my post above, the Post Office wrote historic in the changes section on my v5 and sent it off. A month later I’d heard nothing. I rang the dvla and they told me they had no record of my v5 coming in to be changed, I spoke to them online and they confirmed my v5 had arrived but had been rejected. Turned out I couldn’t just change my v5 to historic. I had to apply for a years tax and that’s when they change it.

Eventually my v5 came back, so I followed the instructions from the dvla and went back to the post office, this time the main one rather than my local one. I asked to tax my bike under the free historic ruling. It can’t be done they said. The lady on the counter talked with various colleagues and came back to me saying I couldn’t have free tax till 2019 as my bike was not old enough. I had to bring up the Dvla’s website and show them that my bike was eligible. As stated on their site, any bike registered up to the end off 1977 gets free tax, and also any bike registered from 01 to 07 of January 1978 gets free tax. My bike was registered 01/01/78. After handing them my phone, they read the rules and agreed my bike should get free tax but the computer wouldn’t let them issue it. They told me to go and contact dvla.

Again I rang them and explained my situation. Lady on the phone said I couldn’t have free tax as my bike was not registered in 1977. I had to again explain their own rules to them, that any bike registered in the first week of 1978 also gets free tax. She then went into their computer system, which showed my bike as having a registration date of 01/01/78 but then showed the date of manufacture almost a year later as 31/12/78. The lady then said I couldn’t have free tax due to the manufacture date. At this point I was struggling to stay calm, if the bike was in the uk registered on the first day of 1978, it couldn’t then be built a year later on the last day of 1978. I gave up and put the phone down.

I then went back to the dvla online chat system, as the people on there seem to be more helpful than those on the phone line. I explained my situation to the man on there. He knew exactly what was going on, he explained any bike registered in the first was of 1978 would have an assumed manufacture date of late 1977 so would indeed qualify to be historic and get the free tax. He told me to write a covering letter and then fill out a manual form to apply for the tax and post it all off to the dvla along with my v5. I’ve just got a letter back today confirming that it’s all sorted and my bike is now classed as historic and taxed for the next year with zero charge. Very happy to be sorted but it’s been very difficult dealing with staff who don’t know their own rules.

Return to “Airhead Q&A's”