Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Roger Ramjet
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

E10

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:49 pm

Good evening,

I have a 1990 r100rs and 2007 r1200gs - checked the Government website which says all BMW Motorrad machines are E10 compatible. Is this definitely the case please?

Thank you in advance,

Roger

Tony the Skin
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: England

Re: E10

Postby Tony the Skin » Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:32 pm

I have seen that and would question it a bit as being far too sweeping a statement. I wouldn't put E10 in an R1100 GS with a plastic tank. Also as E10 in the UK is 95 octane it would not be suitable for bikes that require 98 or 99 octane.
BMW R75/5
BMW R90/S
BMW R75/7
BMW R100 RT Classic
BMW K75 Sprint
BMW R18 Classic

Harley

Suzuki GT750A

Membership No. 672

John Marshall
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby John Marshall » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:46 am

Never mind, electricity supply is close to 98% capacity I am told so when a few more Tesla's get plugged in the pumps will stop.I would not consider a bike with a plastic tank so will not worry. I have ethanol resistant fuel pipes on all bikes and can I believe get ethanol resistant floats should the need arise,at least for the Bings.
A quick look in the floatbowls might be useful from time to time I suppose.
John

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:00 am

Speaking of the government website's 'all BMW models are compatible with E10', we need to take that with a pinch of salt. The information is from BMW and I very much doubt that it includes modes that are not supported. This includes all airheads. That being said, if you use E10, your bike is going to blow up at the first stroke and, if you observe some simple precautions, it'll probably suffer few if any ill effects. I haven't used it long enough to make comment but the information from the states (where high ethanol fuel has been in use for some time) is that there will be a slight reduction in fuel consumption along with (debateably) a slight reduction in power...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:01 pm

Good evening,

I have a 1990 r100rs and 2007 r1200gs - checked the Government website which says all BMW Motorrad machines are E10 compatible. Is this definitely the case please?

Thank you in advance,

Roger
I don't think it's a yes or no answer. Basically you will feed your bikes with unleaded gasoline (which is indeed fine for both engines) with an additive, ethanol. None of them engines are designed for ethanol in such quantities, period.

Having said that, it will not prevent them from running well all the same. But it might after an undetermined amount of time.
Gas blended with ethanol will eventually ruin rubber components in the engine's fuel system and damage engine parts. ... The gas softens rubber components in the engine, some of which may dissolve and gum up the system.

So it's a slow death of sorts.
Then again, not that you have much choice.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1974 Kawasaki W3 650 Replica

Roy Gavin
Forum User
Country of Residence: Adelaide, Australia

Postby Roy Gavin » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:17 am

When I replaced the hard old hose under the airbox on my GS it was the orig BMW hose, with the size, 6x12 and the date 93- 6 .
Just as a test I pit it in a bottle of E99, sometimes called meths,or in North Britain, Irish Whisky.
14 years latter it is still as hard as the day it went in, with no deterioration whatsoever.
In Oz what causes the problem is that stale E10 is boosted with Toulene, or Lacquer thinners, and this is not kind to many plastics or rubbers!

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:56 pm

,or in North Britain, Irish Whisky.
Please,please, please it's Scotch Whisky and Irish Whiskey. It's Claymores and Sgian Dubh at 15 paces up here if you get it wrong :grin:

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Blapper
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Blapper » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:46 am

I have heard that it's easy to get the ethanol out if you can be bothered. Apparently ethanol prefers to bond with water than petrol so put some food dye in some of water and put that in a clear container with a tap then pour in the petrol. Use the tap to take the petrol off the top of the water thus leaving the ethanol behind. Apparently.

Steve Rankin
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: USA

Postby Steve Rankin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:22 pm

So here in the corn country of the USA where the ethanol people rule, we have 10% blend in all stations. Non Ethanol can be found in one out of twenty stations, mainly in areas with a lot of boats.

While I try very hard to run the no E gas, and I am lucky to have two stations near the house, it is not always possible, I have never had a problem with it in my 78 or 84 RS and RT. There is a slight loss of fuel economy like maybe 1mpg, and I don't notice any power loss.

My fuel lines were replaced years ago and I haven't had any problems with carb gaskets or parts.

I don't know if the octane rating system here means anything over there in the UK but generally no E is 90 rated. Unleaded premium is 93. I don't have any pinging problems with either gas.

Our American Motorcycle Association is fighting the push to raise the level to 15% or higher. It is worth every penny I send to them for the fight for motorcycle rights in this country.

In my local area, you should see all the corn grown just to feed the ethanol plant 30 miles from me. A large golf course was demolished a few years back because the owner could make more money growing corn rather than cater to golfers. It is sad when money sets policy rather than the environment issues or rights of the people. St.

Rob vW
Forum User

Postby Rob vW » Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:43 pm

E10 has a shelf-life of about 3 months (probably less). As ethanol absorbs water, if left in the motorcycle tank, it will drag in a lot of water. E5 did the same.

I had the unfortunate experience recently of riding my BM with a tank full of 5-6 week old E5. It was awful, terrible vibration around 3000 rpm. I thought it was a timing or carb balance issue, but refuelling with Shell V Power super unleaded cured the vibration almost completely. And the timing and carb balanced proved to be spot on.

If you are going to ride every day and go from tank full to tank empty in a matter of days, you might get away with E10 if all the rubber parts (pipes, seals etc) are ethanol proof.

Otherwise, don't bother with E10. Use super unleaded instead.

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:20 pm

Otherwise, don't bother with E10. Use super unleaded instead.
That's the whole problem: "pure" unleaded gasoline is no longer available in roadside service stations.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1974 Kawasaki W3 650 Replica

Rob vW
Forum User

Postby Rob vW » Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:03 am

That may be the case in France.

In certain parts of the UK, Esso super unleaded is or was ethanol free. I think that in Scotland & the south-west of the UK it has ethanol added.

Shell V Power super unleaded is E5, but has sufficient additives to make it perform better than standard E5.

You can always try using an octane preserver such as that used for lawnmower fuel. I have a product from Briggs & Stratton that seems to work (if I remember to use it). You just have to remember to shake the bike to mix the fuel and additive just in case they have separated.

Or use an octane booster when you fill up. But stick to one and don't mix them.

Jojje
Forum User
Country of Residence: Finland

Postby Jojje » Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:08 pm

Normally I use E5 with my motorbikes. When Finnish winter is approaching, I start using alkylate petrol and leave it in tanks till the spring. Difference in cold starting and idling is noticeable. Available from the pump in one station in my town, expensive of course.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:53 am

It's worth noting that E5 rated petrol will have up to 5% ethanol and E10 rated petrol will have up to 10% ethanol. Esso have made some specific statements about E5 fuel but I can't find any other major fuel supplier that does. Fuel supplied by supermarket or other minor suppliers is an open question. All that can reliably said is that E5 may not contain more than 5% and E10 may not contain more than 10%.

This article is interesting... https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

Notably, they agree that it is not a good idea to leave E10 fuel in the fuel system long term... but they go on to say that it also isn't a good idea to leave the tank and fuel system dry long term. The sugestion is to fill up with ethanol free fuel (if you can get it) before storing.

There is one other thing that I think, is worth bearing in mind. If you are going to drain your tank of E10, you also need to drain your float bowls and fuel lines. Most of the damage reportedly caused by ethanol is to plastics in the carburettor and draining the tank alone will not prevent this.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Steve Rankin
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: USA

Postby Steve Rankin » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:08 pm

For long term winter storage, all gasoline powered vehicles of mine get ethanol free gas in the tanks. If I remember, I also add a dash of fuel stabilizer to the tanks.

I hate the ethanol blend gas, I have read articles on both sides of the fence about why it is being sold and mandated. They don't help me to like it anymore, just accept it.

The push is to go to higher percent blends and the American Motorcyclist Association as well as small engine and boating organizations are fighting tooth and nail against this.

I am pessimistic in that the higher blends will make it to market because motorcyclists are a minority and media and politicians don't care about us. St.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:02 pm

For long term winter storage, all gasoline powered vehicles of mine get ethanol free gas in the tanks. If I remember, I also add a dash of fuel stabilizer to the tanks.

I hate the ethanol blend gas, I have read articles on both sides of the fence about why it is being sold and mandated. They don't help me to like it anymore, just accept it.

The push is to go to higher percent blends and the American Motorcyclist Association as well as small engine and boating organizations are fighting tooth and nail against this.

I am pessimistic in that the higher blends will make it to market because motorcyclists are a minority and media and politicians don't care about us. St.
I'm quite sure the political sub-agenda is to hasten the demise of the intermal combustion engine completely and, therefore, the more inconvenient and expensive it is to run such engines, the better. Whether this is a reasonable stance, I make no comment.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

barryh
Forum User

Postby barryh » Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:44 pm

I put some E10 in today just to try it. I was well below reserve so what's in there now is mostly E10. Runs fine so far but then it ran fine on E5 without any trace of pinging once I got the combustion chambers cleaned up by dosing with TCW3. Time will tell, I think I will drain the tank and the carbs if the bike doesn't get used over winter. The carbs haven't been overhauled for quite a few years so if the E10 does cause some damage I'll just replace all the rubber bits and switch to premium fuel

Return to “Airhead Q&A's”