Looking at R60/7

Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

kamperman69
Forum User
Country of Residence: Carnoustie,Scotland

Looking at R60/7

Postby kamperman69 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi Apart from the normal old bike things to check is there anything in particular I should be on the outlook for?

Thanks
Last edited by kamperman69 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jockboxer
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Looking at R6/7

Postby Jockboxer » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:16 pm

R60/7 you mean?

kamperman69
Forum User

Postby kamperman69 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:44 pm

oops not a good start :oops: Yes R60/7

Tony the Skin
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: England

Postby Tony the Skin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:50 pm

R60/ 7 or is it /6 and /7. If it the the second option the /6 is excellent. Best is 75/6 for being smooth and more relaxed than the R60/6. The 90/6 has plenty of low down grunt whilst the R90S is my favourite bike. With regards to the /7 series the early years had better finished frames. The 75/7 and 80/7 are very smooth.
BMW R75/5
BMW R90/S
BMW R75/7
BMW R100 RT Classic
BMW K75 Sprint
BMW R18 Classic

Harley

Suzuki GT750A

Membership No. 672

Tony the Skin
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: England

Re: Looking at R60/7

Postby Tony the Skin » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:22 pm

Crossed post Times sorry. R60/7 is a good buy but the R75/7 tends to be a bit smoother and slightly better on fuel.
BMW R75/5
BMW R90/S
BMW R75/7
BMW R100 RT Classic
BMW K75 Sprint
BMW R18 Classic

Harley

Suzuki GT750A

Membership No. 672

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:23 am

A R60/7 is a good bike... not as fast as the biger engined variants (no... really! :grin: ) but certainly capable staying with modern traffic and providing a good 'experience'.

Of course, what you are looking for will depend on what you are expecting. If you want a bike you can just get on and ride, then I would suggest that you have the bike professionally examined... especialy as any /7 is going to be over 40 years old. If you're expecting to do some work to get the bike reliable and fit for use, then there is very little that can't be fixed.

In your place, I would be looking at the following:

• Front suspension. Leaking front fork seals might relate to worn or rusted stanchions. Replacing or repairing the stanchions is expensive. If the bike has gaiters, ask if you can look under them.
  • Rear suspension. Leaks from the shock absorbers (not rebuildable if they're stock). Check for lateral movemant at the swing arm bearings. It may be possible to adjust this out but it may well mean the bearings need to be replaced.
  • Wheels. Check for smoothness and loose bearings. Their shouldn't be any detectable sideways movement at the wheel rim. Again. may be adjustable but assume new wheel bearings.
  • Steering. Bars should move freely and smoothly from lock to lock. If there are tight points in the movement, this probably means the head bearings are shot. There should be no play in the bearings.
  • Gearbox and drive chain. You want to take the bike for a test ride... The gear change will feel clunky if you've not riden an airhead before, that's nothing to worry about unless it's really bad... you'll develop the knack. The thing out to look for is a whine in the gearbox, probably worse in fourth gear. This pressages a gearbox rebuild in the not too far distant future. A high frequency vibration felt through the footpegs is probably a driveshaft or a gearbox issue. Any noise from the rear drive is bad.
  • Brakes. The 60/7 will probably have a single front disk. This isn't the best brake in the world but it should be competent. if it's really bad, it will need to be rebuilt. The pivot for the caliper, if it is seized, can be a real problem.
  • Electrics. It's always hard to assess these but all lights, horns etc. should work and, when the engine is running, the charge light should go out promptly when the engine revs exceed around 1500 rpm. This might vary slightly dependant on the type of voltage regulator fitted. It may be as high as 1800 rpm but higher than that suggests a charge issue.
None of these things are fatal... they can all be put right with a liberal application of time and money... as I said above, it depends what you're looking for.... and the asking price.

Don't be too put off by the look of the bike...(unless that's what you really want)... many a tired looking well used machine tends to be mechanicaly very sound while many a shiny low mileage barn queen has all sorts of issues brought on by being a, well, low mileage barn queen. Needless to say, any serious rust issues are a problem.

One thing is for sure... you'll get plenty of advice on how to overcome any issues you find here.

Good luck

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

kamperman69
Forum User

Postby kamperman69 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:39 pm

Hi Thanks for the info much appreciated, Hi Rob lovely part of Scotland you stay. I'm fae Carnouste.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:23 pm

Ah, Carnoustie... I quite often include that coast in my rambles when I head east... it seems a bit of a shame that the east coast of Scotland seems to play second fiddle to the west coast and the highlands. Some lovely beaches and good roads.

Once you get mobile you might like to take a look at the club Northern Meets. Nothing formal, just a group of like minded BMW (well mainly BMW) enthusiasts who meet up on a regular basis over the summer normally on a Sunday lunchtime, at various locations around Scotland. One of them being the East Coast Burger Cafe (AKA the Beach Cafe) at Montrose

If I can be of any help as you choose and prepare your bike, let me know... I've been playing with airheads for quite some time and have some special tools... and quite a few bits lying around.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

kamperman69
Forum User

Postby kamperman69 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:14 pm

Thank you, yes that would be good, And as I'm a owner of a BMW R60/7 now I not look out of place :wink: Yes there are good roads on the east.... But I thank there's nothing quite like the west coast and the highlands. And if I need any help I will take you up on your offer :cheers:

Cheers Gordon

SJA
Forum User
Country of Residence: Surrey, UK

Postby SJA » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:28 pm

I had an R60/7 for four years and did thousands of bascially trouble free miles both in the UK and all over Europe. I took it to the Eastern Bloc in 1983 and it was perfect. Two up with camping gear, it was smooth and tractable. Obviously no speed machine, but I am sure one would keep up with modern day traffic OK.

The only time I ever came to an unexpected halt on it was when a connection fell of a coil. It had 75,000 miles on the clock when I sold it. I also replaced the warning lights circuit board. I believe these would be tricky to get hold of now.

I agree with the comments above -I would think a scruffy, regularly used bike would be a better bet than a lower mileage lesser used one.

UCD 500S are you out there?

george baker
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:07 pm

Hi SJA
welcome, if you fill in the location section of your profile you will get local info and invites as kamperman69 just did.

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

John Marshall
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby John Marshall » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:39 pm

Good bike, had one for years, never going to sell it then I did to get a 75/7.
Slide carbs fine but benefit from new needles and jets at some stage.
The main PITA problems as with all these older bikes is
a ) evidence of a leaking petrol tank especially on the left
b) knackered centre stand stops and pivots. See if the bolts turn when you move the stand up and down and does the front wheel easily clear the ground when on the stand.
c) knackered side stand pivot either the pin but usually the frame eye is worn. If push comes to shove a Surefoot stand will work instead.
d) exhaust finned nuts -ask if regularly greased.
e) any oil under rear if engine? Gearbox or engine oil!
f) does the petrol cap come undone easily or does it stick?

My single disc was better than the current single disc I have in spite of renewing m/c seals .
John

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:46 pm

Hi Apart from the normal old bike things to check is there anything in particular I should be on the outlook for?

Thanks
Not really.
Rob provided the usually exhaustive and knowledgeable answer. If you know your way around a motorcycle, the Series are just very simple versions of it!
Might be a bit anemic if you ride it on highways though. I would favor an 80/7 or a R100/7 if you need decent power. (The 750 aka R75/7 is pretty rare as it was manufactured for MY77 only)
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1974 Kawasaki W3 650 Replica

vmx1200
Forum User

Postby vmx1200 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:51 am

Might be a bit anemic if you ride it on highways though. I would favor an 80/7 or a R100/7 if you need decent power.

That is why I only had my 60/5 for a year, the final straw was when I was flat out and got overtaken by and RD350 which was two up :oops: :oops:
1978 R100RS owned since 1981
2017 R Nine T Pure

kamperman69
Forum User

Postby kamperman69 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:14 pm

Ooh well it in my garage now \:D/ Ride home was good, On the motorway it got up to speed quick enough so very happy. Have a Honda CB750K (have had a year) and have recently sold my "modern" bike I'm just taking it easy now and I am enjoying my riding so much more now, And I like to fiddle so older bikes are a lot easier to work on..

Gordon

vmx1200
Forum User

Postby vmx1200 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:31 pm

Enjoy!!

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

1978 R100RS owned since 1981
2017 R Nine T Pure

andyb
Forum User
Country of Residence: uk

Postby andyb » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:51 pm

I seem to remember a Bike magazine report of a secondhand R60 from many years back…..
If I remember correctly, it was described as a bike that did more than the sum of it’s parts.

It did not accelerate as well as some.
It did not handle quite as well as others.
But over a real life journey it would get there as fast as most and be ready to ride again the next day. And the next.

AndyB
R100R - work-day-bike
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone - fun-day-bike
885 Speed Triple - stupidly fun day bike!

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:15 am

Look forward to seeing you (and the bike :smile: ) out and about.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Return to “Airhead Q&A's”