Clutch screeching sound. Will it affect the future?

Post your post 1970 technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

seanfranklin
Forum User
Country of Residence: United State

Clutch screeching sound. Will it affect the future?

Postby seanfranklin » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:15 am

Hello, My R75/6 with the engine running and the vehicle in neutral mode, there is a slight squeal from the clutch. The hiss isn't too loud but I'm not sure if the problem will lead to a bad outcome?
Need your advice. Thanks!

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Re: Clutch screeching sound. Will it affect the future?

Postby windmill john » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:03 am

If this disappears when you pull in the clutch, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Some will be along soon to give you a detailed answer, but could be dry push rod, just wear and tear, wear on the thrust bearing, but as said, if it goes with clutch in, leave it.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Tweety Pie, my F650GS
Si, my CX500
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Steve Rankin
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: USA

Postby Steve Rankin » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:09 am

The mechanism for clutch actuation on the back of the transmission has a bearing in it that may be going bad. It has been awhile since I had one apart but I think you can work on it with out having to remove the whole transmission. St.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:01 am

Is it a squeal or is it a hiss? If it's a squeal, then whatever it is, you need to do something about it... a squeal is never good. If it's a hiss or maybe a slight bearing noise, then it's more likely to be something that can be left for a while.

The finger has been, quite rightly, pointed at the clutch release bearing located in the rear of the gearbox. This can be removed checked and replaced with the box in situ... it's a bit fiddly and you might find it helps to remove the battery carrier and the rear mudguard but it's do-able. Ignoring it will ultimately result in the bearing collapsing which, apart from causing a loss of clutch action, may well cause damage to the gearbox so it's a splended idea to check it out without too much delay.

The other posible cause is a failing bearing in the gearbox. This is much more serious and will require a gearbox rebuild.

To sum up... if it's really a squeal... bad news. Find it and fix it now, it's likely to be either the release bearing failing or a gearbox bearing failing. Either will cause a lot of damage if neglected. If it's a 'lesser noise', at least check the thrust bearing and monitor the noise. If it is getting worse, don't delay any longer. If it remains stable then schedule it as something to do in the not too far distant future.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

John Marshall
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby John Marshall » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:17 pm

I have seen over heated and worn pushrods and worn thrust bearings.Not on my bikes though.The latter are as said fairly straightforward but at least on any bikes I have had you cannot quite get the pushrod out past the frame which is sort of annoying.
I take it there is a bit of free play with the cable?
John

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:57 pm

I have seen over heated and worn pushrods and worn thrust bearings.Not on my bikes though.The latter are as said fairly straightforward but at least on any bikes I have had you cannot quite get the pushrod out past the frame which is sort of annoying.
I take it there is a bit of free play with the cable?
John
You can't get the pushrod out without moving the gearbox but, on all of the early machines (up to '80 if memory serves... those with the 'heavy clutch') the release bearing is in three parts which can be each removed without removing the pushrod. The bearing is a radial needle bearing (sometimes referred to as a Torrington bearing), running between two flat thrust washers. The outer of the two washers is integrated into the 'piston' and can be withdrawn once the thrust lever has been removed. To get at the bearing and the inner thrust washer, use thin nosed pliers to draw the pushrod back so that you can get hold of them.

If you need to remove the pushrod, the simplest way is to disconnect the exhausts, remove the rear engine mounting stud and tilt the whole engine forwards so that the rod will slide out between the frame members. Doesn't need much.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

george baker
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:29 pm

Hi seanfranklin
welcome to the forum
George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:40 pm

Just unearthing this thread, as today I noticed a slight squeak (a squeak, not a squeal 8-[ ) when pulling in the clutch, and only when pulling in the clutch.
It actually faded away when I adjusted the clutch cable.

The clutch has been rebuilt 30,000 miles ago, when I got the bike in 2015. The clutch cable has been changed last Spring.
Otherwise everything's fine transmission-wise: gears, up and down, clutch does not slip... Everything is pretty much as it should be.

If I go by Rob's exhaustive explanation... Monitor and service if it gets worse?
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1974 Kawasaki W3 650 Replica

Blapper
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Blapper » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:15 pm

Is your clutch cable one of the type that are PTFE lined? If not, try lubricating it.
1991 R80RT restoration. Sooo much to learn!

Blapper
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Blapper » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:15 pm

Is your clutch cable one of the type that are PTFE lined? If not, try lubricating it.
1991 R80RT restoration. Sooo much to learn!

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:17 pm

Just unearthing this thread, as today I noticed a slight squeak (a squeak, not a squeal 8-[ ) when pulling in the clutch, and only when pulling in the clutch.
It actually faded away when I adjusted the clutch cable.

The clutch has been rebuilt 30,000 miles ago, when I got the bike in 2015. The clutch cable has been changed last Spring.
Otherwise everything's fine transmission-wise: gears, up and down, clutch does not slip... Everything is pretty much as it should be.

If I go by Rob's exhaustive explanation... Monitor and service if it gets worse?
Is it still there when the engine isn't running? If so, then I'd guess it's in the release mechanism (i.e. the lever at the back of the gearbox and it's pivot) and will probably go with lubrication of the pivot. If it's not, then I would suspect the release bearing. I would be inclined to take it out and examine it. Not a massive job and the cost of a failed bearing could be quite high...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

andyb
Forum User
Country of Residence: uk

Postby andyb » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:47 pm

My limited experience on a slightly different noise - from my paralever front bearing. I would think that many folk would have ignored the slight squeak it gave but when I stripped it down it really was very notchy. Worse than I expected. And needed paralever shaft replacement.

If you can hear any unhappy noise from outside the engine it means that something inside is not good. And can only get worse.

If it makes the noise without the engine running, as Rob suggests, then it may be a simple fix.

If it only happens with the engine running then investigate further

AndyB
R100R - work-day-bike
Moto Guzzi V7 Stone - fun-day-bike
885 Speed Triple - stupidly fun day bike!

CharlieVictor
Forum User

Postby CharlieVictor » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 pm

My limited experience on a slightly different noise - from my paralever front bearing. I would think that many folk would have ignored the slight squeak it gave but when I stripped it down it really was very notchy. Worse than I expected. And needed paralever shaft replacement.

If you can hear any unhappy noise from outside the engine it means that something inside is not good. And can only get worse.

If it makes the noise without the engine running, as Rob suggests, then it may be a simple fix.

If it only happens with the engine running then investigate further

AndyB
There is no noise when the engine is not running.
I will check the pivot alright;

Would said bearing be part number 4?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgr ... 00_S&mg=21

Thanks guys.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 13

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:55 am

Thanks guys.
Yes, No4 in the lower of the two diagrams. You should also examine parts 3 and 5, which are the surfaces that the bearing runs on. If they show signs of pitting or other damage, they need to be replaced or, if the damage isn't too bad, faced up. The bearing should get a certain amount of lubrication from the inside of the box but it is a good idea, when assembling, to add a small amount of grease.

If the bearing is in good condition and lubrication doesn't solve the problem, then I think you need to delve deeper as the alternative causes could end up being quite destructive...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

CharlieVictor
Forum User

Postby CharlieVictor » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:33 pm

Thanks guys.
Yes, No4 in the lower of the two diagrams. You should also examine parts 3 and 5, which are the surfaces that the bearing runs on. If they show signs of pitting or other damage, they need to be replaced or, if the damage isn't too bad, faced up. The bearing should get a certain amount of lubrication from the inside of the box but it is a good idea, when assembling, to add a small amount of grease.

If the bearing is in good condition and lubrication doesn't solve the problem, then I think you need to delve deeper as the alternative causes could end up being quite destructive...

Rob
Thank you.
I will.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"

Return to “Airhead Q&A's”