Help identifying final drive casing numbers .

Post your Veteran, Vintage & Classic queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Davef.

Help identifying final drive casing numbers .

Postby Davef. » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am restoring a r51/3 and a r67/2 . I have 2 final drive casings with the numbers 25156680101 and one with 25116680101 and one 25118680101. Does anyone know were I can find the BMW part numbers to find out the correct casings to use with the bikes I have. Many thanks. Davef.

bwprice100
Forum User
Country of Residence: Wales

Re: Help identifying final drive casing numbers .

Postby bwprice100 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:52 pm

You could try the Real OEM web site but thete may be more than option for the final drive, eg. Normal and sidecar.

I hope this helps Brian

www.eBolt.co.uk www.TooolroomChucks.co.uk
1958 R26, (not so many bits now)
1978 R75/7, (a project bike)
1981 R80, (was a TIC)
1995 R1100RT, (speeding ticket the first day I rode it) (Sold)
http://www.eBolt.co.uk
http://www.ToolroomChucks.co.uk

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Hi
you could try to count the ratio of input to output rotations and try to match that to the specifications

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:37 pm

As Brian (bwprice100) says:

Use the RealOEM Parts Fiche to sort out where your bits go -
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=M&arch=0

If you examine an unknown part carefully you will find a BMW Part number on it - it will either be 7 or 11 digits e.g.
2324750 or 52532324750.

Put this Part Number into the RealOEM 'Part Nr Application Search' box and hit 'Search'.

You will then see a 'Part Cross Reference' page with all the BMW Series which use that part.

Click on 'Details on xxxx' (in Blue type) for whichever Series your bike is in.

You will then be shown a page with the Part Name. Click on the Part Name (in Blue type) for the appropriate Series Model you have.
You will then be taken to the Parts Diagram showing where that part fits on your bike with a Parts Table below confirming the Item and Part Number.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Davef.

Postby Davef. » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi, Thank you for that link. To realoem, but the search came up blank. I put in a couple of other serial numbers and they were identified straight away. I also need a engine block of a r51/r67 to use as adonor block as I have corrosion around the base of my r67 block. Anyone got one. ? If so plese forward price and particulars.. Many Thanks.. Davef.

Davef.

Postby Davef. » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:51 pm

Hi, I think I may have solved my problem with identifying the final drive casings. I have offered up one of my steel brake drums and they are a sure fit for the drives I have with separate numbers. And when I offered up an aluminium brake drum they are a sure fit for the final drive casings for the two final drives with the same number.
So, I think that the final drive casings are different for steel and aluminium wheels. The two that match the steel drums only have one raised lip, and the one that match the aluminium have two raised lips.
Does anyone know if what I am saying makes sense. ?
Many Thanks.. Davef.

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:25 pm

Hi
I have corrosion around the base of my r67 block
I dont understand, do you mean you have corrosion on the crank case around the cylinder base? If so why not fill the pits? Same if it is the sump gasket area

I think I need to see a photograph to know what you mean

Where are you based BTW?

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Davef.

Postby Davef. » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Hi, The engine block on the left hand side , looking forward, looks to have been left in a damp/wet environment IE, shed/garage/floor ? And has resulted in serious corrosion through the side of the casing around the base/lower side . I have talked to a couple of aluminium welders and the best option is to buy a unused engine case, cut out the corroded piece and cut out a same size and weld it in.
Have a look at bmwclassicmotorcycles.com and click on documentation then click on R68 crankcase repair.
I personally thought that it would be a straight forward job of welding in the missing bit and then filling down the surface, but with the very low melting point around 700/c the aluminium tends to " drop through and run ". Hope this explains it better... Dave

Return to “Veteran, Vintage & Classic Q&A's (Pre /5)”