Markhouse Motorcycles

Post your Veteran, Vintage & Classic queries here

Moderator: Moderators

store

Markhouse Motorcycles

Postby store » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:46 pm

Anyone rememebr old 'Coxy' from this establishment? I have the odd story of meetings with him and some from old boys around the London area,(he liked me I think because I was the right colour and religion but mostly because I had an old BM). Roger Bennet has stories about him but the best of them all comes from Bob Porecha in my book. I could write stuff up but it may not pass the censors.

Andy Raggett
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Re: Markhouse Motorcycles

Postby Andy Raggett » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Yes I remember Markhouse Motorcycles.
I don't think I ever went into the shop, as I had an R65 at the time which was probably far too modern for them.
I did however have a look in the window a few times when passing. I seem to remember there always being old Dunnelt motorcycles in the shop amongst the BMW's.

AR

store

Postby store » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:36 pm

Oh Andy, you should have seen the swastikers in the back room! Those of you who know who owned the 'BSA', he used to let rip about the Docker family. Scarey stuff. I wouldn't have been suprised to see the shop firebombed. Aledgedly, Coxy was a memeber of Mosely's black shirts and was a concsciencious objector in WW2....there's plenty more dirt ho hum!

RFD

Postby RFD » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Crikey you going back a bit there Store. I broke the kick start on my R75/5 s.w.b =(little battery)= kick kick kick on winter mornings. Any way I took a ride down to Markhouse Motorcycles for a replacement, what a shocker there is no doubt the local council wouldn't allow it these days. Most important thing was he had one in stock. I used Gus Khuhn back then as well. The daftest thing was I always rode down on the bike to pick the parts up. It's a bit easier now.

gazza414

Postby gazza414 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:32 am

I remember going there quite a bit always after parts for my R75/7 in the late 80's early 90's
They were in Markhouse Rd , Walthamstow E17 ..still got his number in my diary 081 - 5821754

At the time I lived at E15 5LB

blueshed48

Postby blueshed48 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Just Joined Fourm I remember Coxy I bought my first B.M. R26 1958 from him great bike ,then traded it in for R60,put Watsonian chair on this on which I passed my test at Wood Green ,then traded that in for Really nice R60 single seat 1956,then had to go get 4 wheels for Wife and new daughter ,Happy days Still keep looking for R25 at a reasonable price !!!

Tango
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Tango » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Don't know about Markhouse, but remember going up to Gus Kuhn in Brixton/ Stockwell, at 16yrs old, pillion on a Norton Commando to pick up a set of forks.
Carried said forks back home across my lap, we went through the Mark Cross new road bypass (A267) at the magic number, never ever been pillion since.
Regards,
Marty
(2012) R1200GS Sold
(1992) R80GS
(1987) R100GS Bumble Bee

charliecurtin
Forum User
Country of Residence: Australia

Postby charliecurtin » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:13 pm

Anyone rememebr old 'Coxy' from this establishment? I have the odd story of meetings with him and some from old boys around the London area,(he liked me I think because I was the right colour and religion but mostly because I had an old BM). Roger Bennet has stories about him but the best of them all comes from Bob Porecha in my book. I could write stuff up but it may not pass the censors.
Frank Cox was my Husbands grandfather... this is FASCINATING.. please tell us more. We had an idea he may have been perhaps slightly far right.. any stories or info would be so greatfully received.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Veteran, Vintage & Classic Q&A's (Pre /5)”