Mobile phone GPS on an R100RS

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

vmx1200
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Mobile phone GPS on an R100RS

Postby vmx1200 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:39 pm

This may be of no interest to anyone but I thought I would share it if it helps even one person searching on the web!!

Last year I saw a waterproof mobile phone case fitted to one of our club member’s bikes which he used as a sat nav in conjunction with Bluetooth earbuds. I thought this might be useful as I had never been able to justify the cost of a pukka motorcycle GPS as I am not into touring.
When my daughters asked what I wanted for Christmas I gave then the details of

Ultimateaddons UNIVERSAL WATERPROOF CASE FOR SMARTPHONE UP TO 160MM
https://ultimateaddons.com/collections/ ... proof-case

25MM TO 3 PRONG ADAPTER V2 WITH PUSH BUTTON
https://ultimateaddons.com/collections/ ... sh-buttons

The case is very well made but huge but so many mobiles are huge these days

This all fitted and worked well on the nine T in conjunction with a standard RAM ball mount however I could never work out a way of fitting the case to the RS and having searched the web for Sat Nav / GPS on an RS found very few examples many of which seemed rather Heath Robinson.

A few days ago I saw a bicycle fitted with a bar clamp for one of this make of products so decided to try one £16 with free return
https://ultimateaddons.com/collections/ ... nt-19-33mm

It only takes a few minutes to fit (2 screws) and remove after the crash pad is removed which of course can be refitted when the mount is removed.

The case is firmly held, I can still get to the switches, so am happy with this solution

Pic 4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1978 R100RS owned since 1981
2017 R Nine T Pure

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Re: Mobile phone GPS on an R100RS

Postby george baker » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:24 pm

Hi
What app are you using?
G
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Postby windmill john » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:27 am

I got a more basic one from them but works fine:

https://ultimateaddons.com/products/gps ... 4816116747

George, I’ve used Michelin maps and Google maps. Maps.me was very good, then stopped on my phone for a while.
It’s important to note in my cases, I’ve only used it and the apps a few times as I’ve not been abroad for a while.

John
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Bumble, my 700 Transalp.
Gupta, my 350 Bullet.
Sold my Airheads, what an idiot.
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:58 am

Hi
ta John
G

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:06 am

Hi
ta John
G

vmx1200
Forum User

Postby vmx1200 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:33 am

Hi George

I use Google maps and for the times there is no mobile phone signal I have a download of southern England (which updates itself when on WiFi) on the phone.

I also rum TomTom Amigo which is their free navigation app and has better speed camera ability than Google maps but only works with a mobile data signal
2017 R Nine T Pure

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:55 pm

Hi 1200
Do you mean I just download a google map and then my mobile phone just leads me to my destination like a sat nav if I don't have a 4 g signal?
G

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:02 pm

Google made the changes not too long ago that allowed oyu to download specific maps and then you can use it as a sat nav. It is a bit fiddly as you cannot download all the maps I don't think. You have to select where you want the maps for so if you don't do it right you get half way to your destination then run out of map. :)

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:00 am

I used to ise an app called 'Don't Panic' (relevance anybody???) which is/was a fully featured sat nav. I've also used Maps.Me and the succesor to 'don't panic' called 'Genius Maps'. All of these are downloads onto an android phone (don't know about I-phone but I expect they work there as well) and, while they don't have all of the whistles and bells of the dedicated unit, they are easy to use, effective and accurate. The benefits are...

1) You don't have to buy a dedicated (and expensive) piece of equipment.

2) You only need one bluetooth connection.

3) The output from the Sat Nav will overide media and/phone conversations... or not if you don't want it to.

The disadvantages... well, if you ignore the aforementioned whistles and bells, there are no disadvantages.

I have to say, though, that I am increasingly impressed by Google Maps for this use. It's quite useable and much more up to date in terms of actual road conditions than anything else I've used.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

vmx1200
Forum User

Postby vmx1200 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:02 am

Hi George

As Mjolinor said you are not downloading the route but also the map itself so you can continue to navigate with no mobile signal, obviously you will not get any traffic info etc when off line,this all happens seamlessly

You can select the map area for you chosen route or a larger area if want one you have the map download the route planner will use it if there is no signal, of course the map can be a large file )it can be saved to SD card)

Here is a link to the instructions

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/ ... roid&hl=en
2017 R Nine T Pure

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:03 pm

I specifically bought a Blackview BV6000 when this became do-able.

Waterproof, shockproof cheap phone. I would recommend them to anyone with the only downside being that the USB was a long way up a hole so finding charge cables was difficult and my thermal camera could not be used with it. Also not possible to retain the waterproofness (<< is that a word?) if you needed to charge it.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:17 pm

I specifically bought a Blackview BV6000 when this became do-able.
waterproofness (<< is that a word?) if you needed to charge it.

Waterproofity perhaps :drunken:

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

IanG
Forum User

Postby IanG » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:13 am

I use a Sat Nav on my mobile called Waze which is really good. Google took them over a while ago, which is why Google maps has got better at navigation as they are using some of Waze's technology. So far they haven't interfered much and let Waze stay independent. I don't use a Sat Nav often on the bike but when I do I just use the voice directions through my helmet intercom with my phone in my pocket. I think looking down at the screen of a mobile phone could/would be pretty distracting and voice only works fine for me. Because the screen isn't on, the battery on the phone isn't impacted badly by the Sat Nav either.

Ian
1983 R100
1955 Norton ES2
1972 Norton Commando
2001 Honda VFR800
19** Understanding wife

andymcg
Forum User

Postby andymcg » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:57 pm

I use a Sat Nav on my mobile called Waze which is really good. Google took them over a while ago, which is why Google maps has got better at navigation as they are using some of Waze's technology. So far they haven't interfered much and let Waze stay independent. I don't use a Sat Nav often on the bike but when I do I just use the voice directions through my helmet intercom with my phone in my pocket. I think looking down at the screen of a mobile phone could/would be pretty distracting and voice only works fine for me. Because the screen isn't on, the battery on the phone isn't impacted badly by the Sat Nav either.

Ian
I use Scenic as a motorcycle sat nav app on my iPhone.
It works well with phone in an ultimate add ons case.
The scenic app shows your speed and it records the route so you can see where you went and sync it to PC etc.
Gives average and max speed and can produce a shareable file of the route.
It does make it harder to justify a dedicated bike sat nav,
I have RAM mount ( or eBay copies) balls on each bike and can swap the case onto whichever I am riding.
For power I have a 12v to USB power lead that plugs into the accessory socket.
Only weak point is that it can be hard to use touch screen with glove on. Removing glove to text while riding is frowned on!
Christmas & birthday brought me a SCHUBERTH C3.basic helmet then their Sc10 Bluetooth communications fit. It is very good and I can listen to the voice instructions or stream anything from the phone.
Not sure if being able to use mobile hands free while riding is useful or not.
Sometimes one rides to get away from normal life!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not grim up North!
since 1994 a R100R and from Oct 2015 "Walter" K75S, and from Aug 2016 R850R!

george baker
Club Member 14

Postby george baker » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:29 am

Hi
'Removing glove while riding is frowned on!" Cos i always hurts me too much when I damage my hands . And they get cold

G

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:15 pm

Ian
French VTC (limo) and express courier drivers favorite app, it's based on live data uploaded by the users to determine an alternate (sometimes very convoluted) itinerary.
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 650RS W3 Replica "Twin With a Kick"

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”