Northern Meet at the Highland Folk Museum,Newtonmore this Sunday 13th September 2020

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

Ruralman
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Northern Meet at the Highland Folk Museum,Newtonmore this Sunday 13th September 2020

Postby Ruralman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi Guys & Gals,
This Sunday is the forthcoming Northern Meet at Highland Folk Museum,Newtonmore (gr: NN 7263699668 - Postcode: PH201AY) Tel: 01540 673551, 12:00 - 13:00, those who can attend are Club Members,Forum Members, and Friends of either so you're all welcome, come and try out our Northern Meets where chat is interesting and varied...
I'm actually holidaying along the banks of Loch Ness at present so will join the Meet with my wife Jan in our Motorhome MiniMo! you'll maybe see Tilly as well! (Tilly is our Faith full canine...)

Look forward to seeing you all on Sunday...

Regards
Keith
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2011 R1200RT SE MU
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200RS
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

gogs01
Club Member 14

Re: Northern Meet at the Highland Folk Museum,Newtonmore this Sunday 13th September 2020

Postby gogs01 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:16 pm

Looking forward to seeing you all on Sunday ! :grin:
Club member #480
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Re: Northern Meet at the Highland Folk Museum,Newtonmore this Sunday 13th September 2020

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:43 am

I intend to be there...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:33 am

Sorry guys, not able to come after all. Problems at home...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:22 pm

See you next time
Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
2011 R1200RT SE MU
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200RS

Tincan3
Forum User

Postby Tincan3 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:08 pm

A soggy ride there and back. Feet wet but trousers dry so a new pair of boots looks justified!
The venue proved a perfect place to demonstrate and try out the atlatl and both Gordon and Keith had a go.
We sheltered in the shinty pavilion overlooking the pitch - perfect for longer range shots. There were quite a few visitors to the folk museum, most of them out of the line of fire. However, I found myself explaining and demonstrating the atlatl to a couple with small child and then explaining this was not part of the folk museum and that I was not a member of staff but just a visitor too!
Sorry, but the photo is out of focus - something to do with my aged camera.
DSC03367 - Edited.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ayrman800
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Ayrshire SW Scotland

Postby Ayrman800 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:45 pm

A soggy ride there and back. Feet wet but trousers dry so a new pair of boots looks justified!
The venue proved a perfect place to demonstrate and try out the atlatl and both Gordon and Keith had a go.
We sheltered in the shinty pavilion overlooking the pitch - perfect for longer range shots. There were quite a few visitors to the folk museum, most of them out of the line of fire. However, I found myself explaining and demonstrating the atlatl to a couple with small child and then explaining this was not part of the folk museum and that I was not a member of staff but just a visitor too!
Sorry, but the photo is out of focus - something to do with my aged camera.
DSC03367 - Edited.jpg
Looks like fun.
Hopefully I’ll get to the next meeting.
Cheers Stuart.

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:17 pm

..... Looks like fun.
Hopefully I’ll get to the next meeting.
Yes, it was fun.

I have a picture of Tincan3 with his Atlatl (looking a little like William Tell). When I figure out how to get that photo off my phone, I'll post it ..... #-o

Not all the Northern Meets are as much fun, but they're all interesting ! :grin:

Looking forward to the meeting at the Aroma Coffee House in Biggar on the 27th :grin:
Club member #480
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:58 pm

Yay! Had another great Northern Meet!
Jan and I arrived just after Gordon and Peter in our Motorhome (MiniMo).
Peter (Tincan3) kindly showed us how to use the AtlAtl Gordon (gogs01) both had a go and enjoyed it all.
As usual the chat was interesting and the company was great, Jan and I headed home to East Lothian and finally found where the sunshine had been hiding all week....
Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProImage
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
2011 R1200RT SE MU
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200RS

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:26 am

Glad the meet went off well. Gutted I couldn't make it. Unfortunately, Covid permitting, I'm due to be 'Darn sarf' on the 27th, house and grandchild sitting so that one is out as well. In the words of the great Arnie, "I'll be back"...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:44 am

Glad the meet went off well. Gutted I couldn't make it .....
Rob
You were missed Rob.
Hope you got your problem at home sorted.
If you can't make the next one, maybe the one after that ? :grin:
Club member #480

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:29 pm

Yes... I hope it's sorted too... but I won't know till we have a lot of rain again. The next one is in the diary and I'll be there unless something else gets in the way.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Jockboxer
Forum User

Postby Jockboxer » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Sorry, I missed the spear throwing! Having ridden the RS up from London (or just north of it) that week, a look at the forecast and the thought of the A9 was enough to put me off. See you next time guys.

DEEP DIVER
Forum User
Country of Residence: ENGLAND

Postby DEEP DIVER » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:57 pm

Just remember this new rule of 6 folks.
#-o #-o
I tried to be normal once, worst two minutes of my life.
Blue belt in Serious tea drinking.

Barry the old goat!!!!
1985 R80ST being rebuilt #-o
1985 R80RT Touring dream sold
2 Harley sportsters being rebuilt #-o
And a VW trike so I don't fall off :shock:

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:06 pm

Gogs1
I send my phone pictures as a email to my computer, then load them from there.

Barry the old goat!!!!

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:11 am

With and android phone and a windows PC, I can simply plug the phone into a the PC using the normal USB charging lead and the phone becomes available as a drive in Windows File Explorer. I can then use the images directly in emails or drag and drop them to a suitable location on the PC. There are loads of ways to do it but that is the simplest. I know you can do much the same between an iphone and an Apple computer but I'm not sure how easy it would be between iphone and Windows (or between Android and Apple).

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:50 am

It works in any combination of Windo$e, Crapple, Android and Linux. Well that is the theory of it. :)

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:32 pm

I'll try plugging my wonderful, hi-tech Samsung phone into my wonderful hi-tech MacBook Air computer and, who knows, I may be able to drag & drop. Won't the file size still be too large ?

I'm trying to sound as if I know what I'm talking about, but I can't even be sure I can take a picture with my wonderful, hi-tech Samsung phone's camera !
Club member #480

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:55 pm

I'll try plugging my wonderful, hi-tech Samsung phone into my wonderful hi-tech MacBook Air computer and, who knows, I may be able to drag & drop. Won't the file size still be too large ?

I'm trying to sound as if I know what I'm talking about, but I can't even be sure I can take a picture with my wonderful, hi-tech Samsung phone's camera !
Hi Gordon,
You can get an app to change the
Image size such as (image size)
You can also choose to upload a small sized image
Regards
Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
2011 R1200RT SE MU
2006 R1200GSA
2004 K1200RS

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 am

The 'alternative' solution is to use an image hosting service. Yes, it's another log in but it does mean you don't have to mess about with image sizes. It also means the image that gets seen doesn't have it's quality degraded by the resizing process and you can also link as many images as you like to a post, avoiding the limit of 3 imposed by the forum software. An incidental benefit is that it doesn't take up room on the club servers.

I have need using 'Imgbb' for a while, it seems to be pretty simple, foolproof and presents links in a form that are specifically suited for bulletin board forums. There are many other similar services...

In principle, all you do is log in to your account and upload the image(s) you want to view to the host (simple drag and drop) then copy the link and paste it into your forum post. An added bonus is that you can upload images from your phone or pad, then do the forum link from your computer. There are a number of different link formats for various purposes. You can show the full image directly in the post or various forms of links. The first image below is the full sized image... the second is a linked thumbnail.

The only downside I can see is that anyone who gets hold of the link can see the image... but, hey... I'm posting it on a public forum anyway. I wouldn't use it for anything sensitive but pics of bikes and rideouts... I don't really care who sees them.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 am

By far the biggest downside is that the picture hosting site can wait until they have loads of pictures and then start charging.

That created huge problems for lots of people when one of the big hosts tried it.

I find it easiest just to use the forum or to stick them on a server that I have control over. The problem with that is I have to remember which pictures on the server are linked from the forum. Periodically I clean it up and that leaves dead links in some of my posts which I hope is not a problem for others, I try not to delete anything that may be useful but as I rarely post anything useful anyway so it generally isn't a problem. :)

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm

I'm aware that could be an issue but I'm only uploading images for the forum I'm not using it for image storage or back up. If, at some time in the future, the hosts decide to charge, I'll simply delete them. Yes, it may be annoying to find broken links when looking at historic posts but the images won't be completely lost and I can always post it again using a different host.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

DEEP DIVER
Forum User

Postby DEEP DIVER » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:05 pm

I find it easiest just to use the forum or to stick them on a server that I have control over. The problem with that is I have to remember which pictures on the server are linked from the forum. Periodically I clean it up and that leaves dead links in some of my posts which I hope is not a problem for others, I try not to delete anything that may be useful but as I rarely post anything useful anyway so it generally isn't a problem. :)
One way I use is to put all the pictures I upload in a file on my home computer, this means I have back up pictures if needed.

Barry the old goat!!!!

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”