Northern Meet this Sunday 30th June 2019

Any motorcycle related topics that you want to discuss - no politics, religion, insults or offensive material

Moderator: Moderators

Ruralman
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Northern Meet this Sunday 30th June 2019

Postby Ruralman » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:42 pm

Hi Guys & Gals,
The sixth Northern Meet of the 2019 season is on 30/06/2019 12:00 - 13:00 at the Rumblin Tum Cafe 3 Bath Place Moffat Dumfries & Galloway, DG10 9HJ, the Sponsor is Keith (Ruralman) and it's open to Club Members Forum Members and Friends of either. Fuel, Toilets,Food and beverages and Parking available.

Hope to see you all

Regards
Keith
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

gogs01
Club Member 14

Re: Northern Meet this Sunday 30th June 2019

Postby gogs01 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 pm

I'm off to Boston tomorrow, hoping to be home on Saturday so, all going well, I'll be at the Rumblin Tum on Sunday. :smile:
Club member #480 (membership up to date !)
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:18 am

Hi Gordon
Looking forwards to my first Meet as a retired person

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
2006 R1200GSA

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:53 am

I'm a bit in the balance at the moment. I have the 'RS' on the stocks finally sorting out the electrical issue I experienced on the way to Biggar. I'll let you know nearer the time whether I'll be there.

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:10 am

I should be there!

Incidentally, Sunday is also the last day of the annual Moffat Classic Car Rally.
The Car Rally is held at the sports/park ground on the A708 Selkirk road at the south end of Moffat which is only 10 minutes walk from the Rumblin Tum.
There is always an interesting collection of cars, 3-wheelers, motorbikes and stalls - I think that the entrance fee is around £5 going to charity.
Well worth a visit!

http://www.sre-scot.co.uk/
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:12 pm

Indeed Ced we always have a great visit to the Rally

Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
2006 R1200GSA

Jockboxer
Forum User

Postby Jockboxer » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:51 pm

Should manage this time. The rally sounds good too.

Neil
Forum User

Postby Neil » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi, Count me in too, I’m camping in Beattock now, good to meet up again Keith& Ced and anyone else. Hope the thundery skies clear up. Already seeen some of the rally cars out on a run. Cheers.
Neil
1988 K75

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:45 am

Isn spiet of some problems yesterday, The 'RS is back on the road and I'm starting out... May turn back though if the weather gats too bad... It looks pretty foul!

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

andymcg
Forum User

Postby andymcg » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:29 am

I think I will come over from Northumberland.
Weather looks nice and the gardening can wait a bit longer, did lots yesterday so have some brownie points.
It's not grim up North!
since 1994 a R100R and from Oct 2015 "Walter" K75S, and from Aug 2016 R850R!

andymcg
Forum User

Postby andymcg » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:13 am

I am still coming set off delayed due to flat battery on K75. Left light on since Fri.
Plonker
It's not grim up North!

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:34 pm

Well that’s me home from another great Northern Meet, I arrived just before Gordon (gogs01), Neil had arrived 20 minutes earlier from camping in Beatock after completing the North Coast 500! Then a short time later Rob arrived (Rob Frankhamr), followed by Andymcg, Ced and two of Ceds friends so this was a well attended Meet.
The added interest of the Car Rally made the Meet all the more pleasurable! though the rain tried to dampen the spirits!
I traveled home via St Mary’s Loch Cafe ( After Gordon and Ced mentioned that it had been refurbished) it was a pleasure to see the new Cafe made me think more about resurrecting the midweek Wednesday Meet (watch this space)
Thank to Ced, Gordon, Rob, Neil, Andy and Ced’s friends for making the Meet more interesting.
Regards
Keith

Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
2006 R1200GSA

andymcg
Forum User

Postby andymcg » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:40 pm

It was a bit damp at the car rally but interesting vehicles. We got separated and Image I only have one picture of old men looking at old cars!
I also came past St Mary’s Lough cafe but didn’t stop.
Pressed on via Selkirk, A68 carter bar, Otterburn, Rothbury, ALNWICK , then Beadnell, and now home in Ashington.
Sunny here and apparently dry all day!
A good run out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not grim up North!

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:46 pm

Thanks all for another great meet. As is my wont, I took the scenic route home and found a number of great roads. Leaving Moffat, I went down to the M74 roundabout but took the B7076 instead. This road runs closely parallel to the M74 all the way to Abington and is about 3000 percent more pleasureable to ride. I am pretty sure that it was originally the A74 prior to the building of the present road and is well up to the standards of a good single carriageway 'A' road but without the traffic.

From Abington I took the A702, then the A73 up to Hyndford Bridge and ion through Lanark, Carluke to Airdie, then on, crossing the M80 near Cumbernauld.

Having crossed the M80, I went to Kirkintilloch, then Lenzie, then Auchinloch then Kirkintilloch again via some of the smallest and most windy roads in East Dunbarton shire before finding the B757 to Milton of Campsie (Thanks Google Maps) followed by the B822 to Lenoxtown.

Once again, Google Maps let me down and I completely missed my intended road (The B822 towards Kippen) ending up on the A891 at Strathblane where I gave up and took the A81 to Aberfoyle. This turned out to be another great riding road with long straights and graduated curves.

From Aberfoyle, the A81 took me through Port of Mentieth and up to Callander where I joined the A84 North.

Back on familiar roads, I followed the A84 to LIx toll and thence via Killin, Fearnan and Keltneyburn back to Rannoch.

About 298 miles including the outbound journey and detours. Not bad for an old'un (I mean the bike... or do I?)

Did it rain... yes quite a bit but not enough to spoil the enjoyment.

Thanks again to Keith for hosting and to all for another great meet.

See you all next time I hope (Montrose 14/7)...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:52 pm

Thanks all for another great meet. As is my wont, I took the scenic route home and found a number of great roads. Leaving Moffat, I went down to the M74 roundabout but took the B7076 instead. This road runs closely parallel to the M74 all the way to Abington and is about 3000 percent more pleasureable to ride. I am pretty sure that it was originally the A74 prior to the building of the present road and is well up to the standards of a good single carriageway 'A' road but without the traffic.

From Abington I took the A702, then the A73 up to Hyndford Bridge and ion through Lanark, Carluke to Airdie, then on, crossing the M80 near Cumbernauld.

Having crossed the M80, I went to Kirkintilloch, then Lenzie, then Auchinloch then Kirkintilloch again via some of the smallest and most windy roads in East Dunbarton shire before finding the B757 to Milton of Campsie (Thanks Google Maps) followed by the B822 to Lenoxtown.

Once again, Google Maps let me down and I completely missed my intended road (The B822 towards Kippen) ending up on the A891 at Strathblane where I gave up and took the A81 to Aberfoyle. This turned out to be another great riding road with long straights and graduated curves.

From Aberfoyle, the A81 took me through Port of Mentieth and up to Callander where I joined the A84 North.

Back on familiar roads, I followed the A84 to LIx toll and thence via Killin, Fearnan and Keltneyburn back to Rannoch.

About 298 miles including the outbound journey and detours. Not bad for an old'un (I mean the bike... or do I?)

Did it rain... yes quite a bit but not enough to spoil the enjoyment.

Thanks again to Keith for hosting and to all for another great meet.

See you all next time I hope (Montrose 14/7)...

Rob
Hi Rob,
It was another great Meet, I’ve check my calendar and I’ll be up in Westerross that week, could you sponsor the Montrose Meet?
Regards
Keith

Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
2006 R1200GSA

Neil
Forum User

Postby Neil » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:45 pm

Thanks from me also for a great meet.
I decided to go for the quickest route home due to the rain, M74, Longtown, Brampton, A69 then the Military Road (running parallel to Hadrians Wall) The rain stopped 25 miles south of Moffat so everything got dried out on the rest of the way home.
Hope to make another meet soon.
Regards,
Neil
1988 K75

andymcg
Forum User

Postby andymcg » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:58 pm

If people have iPhones ( other smart phones are available) it is worth looking at the Scenic app as a SatNav that easily records your trip and shows stats like average and max speed as well as the route in a form that can be looked at on your PC and exported or shared with others.
I am too mean to get a proper dedicated bike SatNav and find the phone on a RAM mount works fairly well. Touch Screen doesn’t work with gloves on. Sometimes it does when they are damp.
Can be hard to see in bright sun.
You can use the audio if you have Bluetooth helmet intercom, or can put ear phones in. I just use the screen.
Of course you need to remember to start the app running!
I used it from home to Moffat but didn’t restart it on way back.
I will see if I can share route if anyone is interested.
See www.motomappers.com
Or look on App Store for Scenic
There is a free version or pretty cheap.
If you just want to record where you have been you can just leave phone in pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's not grim up North!

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:55 pm

Another great Northern Meet!

It was nice to meet up with Keith, Gordon, Rob, Neil and Andy again.

The Rumblin Tum cafe was quite busy and noisy as a result which plays havoc with my poor hearing! #-o

Neil had camped overnight in nearby Beattock while returning home from doing Scotland's North Coast 500 tour.

Andrew, the son of my old friend Brian in Glasgow, came down from Glasgow with his wife Elaine on his Ducati Monster 1200 and joined us briefly before going off to see the Moffat Car Rally.
Last week I had taken Brian and Andrew on a run around St. Mary's Loch and the Megget before getting diverted into the hinterlands around Biggar due to a road closure where Andrew almost ran out of fuel on his new Ducati Monster!
He has only had it a fortnight and was uncertain of the fuel range having no fuel gauge - a brief chat on setting his trip odometer to zero after brimming the tank should prevent a repeat of the incident!

As posted by Keith above, the wooden cafe at St. Mary's Loch has been completely refurbished both inside and out with brand new toilets being incorporated for the first time - a lot of money has been spent and it is now a very attractive place to stop for a coffee and/or a bite to eat.
(Peter [Jockboxer] please take note and where were you! :lol: )

After lunch Gordon had to return to Dundee and the rest of us walked down to the Car Rally.

There was an interesting P&H (Phelon & Moore) 'sloper' motorcycle built I think in 1910 in Cleckheaton, Yorkshire, and which was the forerunner of the 'Panther' models built by the Company.
This one had acetylene lights with the headlamp incorporating a giant magnifying glass behind the burner jets.
Phelon & Moore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phelon_&_ ... prov=sfti1

There was also an unrestored Model T Ford pick-up complete with bullet holes in the door apparently found abandoned in an American forest!
Rob spotted that the plug lead to the cylinder nearest the radiator was a length of rusty barbed wire!
The Model T's used Trembler Coils for the ignition so this would likely have worked perfectly satisfactory although broadcasting their presence for miles around!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_T?wprov=sfti1

Heavy rain showers forced us to take shelter in the tented stalls section where Rob got a good buy of a pair of 'Melco' motorcycle tyre levers.

An interesting day out in good company - thanks to all who attended especially those doing the big mileages in the dodgy weather!
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:43 am

I took the scenic route from Dundee to Moffat via Edinburgh and Cappercleuch, which took me to the Glen Cafe at St Mary's Loch.
It's a popular stop for motorcyclists and was doing a roaring trade. I made the mistake of using what used to be the only toilets for customers - outside and now costing 30p per visit. It was only when I went in to the recently refurbished cafe that I realised there was now an internal toilet - free to customers !
An egg roll and a cup of tea later, I continued on to the Rumblin Tum to find that Keith had beaten me to it (just). Neil then turned up and we nipped inside as another rain shower threatened. The rest of the gang turned up in turn and we found ourselves eight at table, which is one of the largest meets I have attended.
A good bit of banter, but I had to shoot off early to attend a birthday tea for my niece. The quick way home and the bike would have to wait 24 hours for a wash and brush up.
Looking forward to my next meet, but it won't be the next one because I'm off to Orlando this weekend for a fortnight. Must check the calendar for the subsequent one .... Hawick ?
Club member #480 (membership up to date !)
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:37 am

Indeed Gordon it’ll be Hawick at the end of July, enjoy your holiday, I’ll miss Montrose also as I’ll be in Wester Ross
Regards
Keith

Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
2006 R1200GSA

Rob Frankhamr
Club Member 14

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:32 am

Hi Rob,
It was another great Meet, I’ve check my calendar and I’ll be up in Westerross that week, could you sponsor the Montrose Meet?
Regards
Keith

Hi Keith,

I will do that one...

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks Rob
Regards
Keith

Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
2006 R1200GSA

Jockboxer
Forum User

Postby Jockboxer » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:35 am

Apologies. Forgot that daughter no2 was up from the Great Wen for a hen night. Hopefully next time.

Return to “General Motorcycle Chat”