Anyone used a home electro plating kit?

Post your Misc Tech and Restoration Q&A's and general BMW queries here

Moderator: Moderators

tigcraft
Forum User
Country of Residence: Holmfirth England

Anyone used a home electro plating kit?

Postby tigcraft » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:29 pm

I’ve Lots of manky fixtures and fittings on some of my bikes so I’m curious to use a home kit but are you just paying over the odds for shite you can by cheaper separate? Anyone used one?

Old Foxy
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Re: Anyone used a home electro plating kit?

Postby Old Foxy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:00 pm

I have used the nickel plating kit and it worked fine - the plating is still on many the parts of my 1955 Panther that I did, after 25 years. However, it does need a lot of care in the preparation, so I needed to buy a metal polishing kit, plus a tank, thermometer, etc. Doing a good job (as always) takes a lot of time and care (clinical cleanliness is a must), but very satisfying when the results appear.

Once I got an old lathe and a milling machine, I decided to make replacement parts (where I could) out of stainless steel, so the plating kit was consigned to the back of the cupboard. If I needed anything plating now, I'd use a professional plater (although they are getting thin on the ground).

Old Foxy
2018 K1600 GTL
1989 R100RT (sold)
1979 R100T (sold)

tigcraft
Forum User

Postby tigcraft » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:45 pm

I take it that it was enjoyable for you to do? That’s half the battle most of the times. I won’t ask you much in detail about it as it sounds like it’s a long time ago you put it to rest. I does sound though that you advanced from total basic kit to more costly, I presume it benefited from better gear?

Old Foxy
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Old Foxy » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:07 pm

Nope, just used the basic kit. Lots of hard work in the prep stages. Initially the results were not that brilliant, but as I learned how to do the prep properly, then things got a lot better and the results were very satisfying. However, I moved on to making parts in stainless (where possible) and the kit was stashed, then scrapped. I don't think I'd contemplate going back to home plating now, but then my requirements are very limited. If I were restoring a complete basket case, I might consider home plating again, as the cost of professional plating can be prohibitive for lots of parts.

There is no reason why you cannot get excellent results with the basic plating kit and a metal polishing set (I only use an old Black & Decker drill as my power source, with a 4" mop) if you are prepared to put in the time & effort. As I said before, this is mostly in the prep stage - the actual plating takes very little effort, just cleanliness and care with the plating tank (especially temperature).

Hope this helps,

Old Foxy
2018 K1600 GTL
1989 R100RT (sold)
1979 R100T (sold)

tigcraft
Forum User

Postby tigcraft » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:14 am

Ok that’s an honest reply that I wanted. I work with metals and paints so prepping is easy for me. Thank you old foxy

Return to “Miscellaneous & Restoration Q&A's”