Post your F Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

Andyetti
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

F800ST piston slap!!!

Postby Andyetti » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:08 pm

Hi

Hope someone can help!!! I have a F800ST which has picked up piston slap which is loud and really annoying. Unfortunately to repair is going to be silly money.
There is a GT engine for sale near me but I need to know if I can do a straight swap or will the ECU not work on the GT engine???
I think the outsides are the same but the GT engine made 5hp more.
Mine is a 07 and the GT engine is a 16!

Thanks in advance..

ChrisLelong
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Re: F800ST piston slap!!!

Postby ChrisLelong » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:05 pm

Hi
I can't advise on the engine swap as I don't know if they are interchangeable - but I do hope so!
There was a batch of bad F800ST engines & BMW were supposed to have recalled & fixed them all, but I test rode one at a main dealer in Bristol & it sounded awful. The salesman said it was nothing & a service would cure it! I passed on that one.
I p/exed my F800R for an ST at another dealer & noticed rather a lot of entries in the service book, but the bike sounded & went well so I did the deal. Later I checked with the dealer in the service book, to find out why so many visits. They sent me the service history which showed my bike had virtually a new engine & was one of the bad batch! The invoice was very detailed & most engine parts were replaced. I asked why they did not just fit new engines as there would be way less labour cost. The reply was that by replacing the innards & not the cases, the engine number would stay the same! Saving face maybe?
I hope you find a good engine, these are really nice bikes.
Chris

Andyetti
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Andyetti » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:46 am

BMW never admitted the engines were bad hence the 06-07 models are particularly bad. Rotrax changed the pistons on the 08 models I think. Have a mate who could fix the engine but he has told me worst case scenario is £2000 for parts an labour!!!!!!! God knows what BMW would charge.

george baker
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:30 am

Hi
why not ask your dealer, they MAY help.

BTW Why not post a little more about yourself in the introductions section? If you include your location in your profile you should get local info and advice.

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

george baker
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:30 am

Hi
why not ask your dealer, they MAY help.

BTW Why not post a little more about yourself in the introductions section? If you include your location in your profile you should get local info and advice.

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Return to “F Series Technical Q&A's”