Scotland - North Coast 500

Your totally irrelevant posts go here - keep it clean with no flaming and absolutely no politics (Club or otherwise). Posts contravening this WILL be removed without warning.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum may be used for your posts that don't fit elsewhere but please keep it clean, calm and respectful. As elsewhere, politics of any sort (including Club politics) are not permitted.
If you want to meet with others for your personal ride then please use the 'Anyone want to meet me?' forum.
If you want to invite the BM Riders Club to other club events please do it through official channels by contacting the Club Secretary.
Any posts contravening these guidelines may be removed without warning.
Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Scotland - North Coast 500

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:58 pm

A 4-part series on Scotland's scenic 'North Coast 500' starts on BBC ALBA (Sky Channel 141) today, Sunday 07/04/2019 @ 2000hrs.

The BBC ALBA channel is also available on BBC iPlayer for CatchUp viewing.

The presenter, Anne Lundon, will be driving the route so presumably a car will be used, however this should not detract from the magnificent scenery and will give you a good idea of the roads involved.

For anyone thinking of doing this route, note that it is very popular and this puts a strain on the limited accommodation available.
If you are not camping, then get your accommodation booked in good time!

On single track roads with Passing Places, it is good etiquette if another vehicle catches up with you, to pull over into a Passing Place to allow it to overtake. :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Mark Esposito
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Wales

Re: Scotland - North Coast 500

Postby Mark Esposito » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:07 pm

I just missed it , I will see it on catch-up.
Here's a link,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... -episode-1

It has English subtitles.

Mark

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I have 1985 BMW R80 RT monolever & a 1988 R80 RT in case i forget to mention it when asking a question !

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi
I plan to do a chunk of it in June, camp sites booked.

Geotge
Member 21, R100R, and an unused K75

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:11 am

Sounds interesting. I’ve never been to Scotland on a bike, oddly enough. I shall peruse Iplayer.
R1100R
Suzuki Bandit 1200

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:59 am

Sounds interesting. I’ve never been to Scotland on a bike, oddly enough. I shall peruse Iplayer.

The North Coast 500 is a LONG ride for anyone coming from England especially from the South Coast areas.

For those in this situation who have not ridden to Scotland before why not experience Scotland by initially exploring the very scenic Dumfries & Galloway, Border and Central Regions?

An ideal base to do this is the small attractive town of Moffat which has hotels, B&B and a campsite.

This can be easily got to via the M6 & M74 and is only 30 miles from the England/Scotland border.

From Moffat you can easily do day rides westward to explore the hills, lochs and coastline of historic Dumfries & Galloway including the Mull of Galloway, Newton Stewart, Castle Douglas, Gatehouse of Fleet, New Galloway and the Galloway Forest.

Head eastward to explore the Borders region and attractive towns of Peebles, Langholm, Hawick and Kelso.
If you time it right you could also take part in the annual Selkirk Haggis Hunt!

Heading southward takes you into northern England to explore the Lake District and Northumberland.

Heading northwards for about 100 miles will take you to the main cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow.
If the weather is bad or you want a rest off the bike, why not take the bus from Moffat to Glasgow or Edinburgh and spend a day in the City?

Alternatively, the engineering marvel Falkirk Wheel (Union/Forth & Clyde canals boat lift) and the fantastic Kelpie art sculptures are located together and still within 100 miles north of Moffat.

All of this is do-able in a day from your Moffat base.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:02 am

Hi Ced
a good advert for your region. I will be passing through as I go from Lands End to John o' Grotes on a group tour in June.

I am leaving Thurso on 16th June Sunday and MUST be home Thursday after (my wife has booked me in to a thing on the Friday) and would love to meet up with people on the way back if if anyone is free.

George
Member 21, R100R, and an unused K75

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:08 am

That whole area on the North side of the Solway is really good, easy to get to and you can buy some Hunters wellies from the factory cheap. :)

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:49 pm

Hi Ced
a good advert for your region. I will be passing through as I go from Lands End to John o' Grotes on a group tour in June.

I am leaving Thurso on 16th June Sunday and MUST be home Thursday after (my wife has booked me in to a thing on the Friday) and would love to meet up with people on the way back if if anyone is free.

George

Hi George,

Enjoy your end-end trip up North!
In June you will hopefully not be bothered by the MDF (Midgie Defence Force) which thins out the tourists in July and August - take a midgie veil just in case, especially if you are camping!

That whole area on the North side of the Solway is really good, easy to get to and you can buy some Hunters wellies from the factory cheap. :)

Hi Mjolinor,

Sadly the Gates Rubber Company in Dumfries has closed down and production moved to China so you will need to go there to find the factory shop for your Hunter's wellies and cam belts!
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi Mjolinor,

Sadly the Gates Rubber Company in Dumfries has closed down and production moved to China so you will need to go there to find the factory shop for your Hunter's wellies and cam belts!
Gese, when did that happen?

It doesn't seem to me to be that long ago that I was there buying wellies. Another sign of being an old git.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:35 pm

From one old git to another, Gates shut down about 7 years ago and the building was then partly used by Interfloor, a flooring company before becoming unused and derelict.

The building is Listed as it was unique at the time of its construction for the Arrol-Johnston Car Company of Dumfries in 1913.

It was converted to aircraft production during WW1.

Sir Donald Campbell's 'Bluebird' car was also built here in the 1930's.

You can read anout the history of the building on the Scottish Canmore (Catalogue of ANcient MOnuments and REligious Establishments) website here:

https://canmore.org.uk/site/85560/dumfr ... ar-factory

The building is still standing awaiting an occupier.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:18 pm

Hmm, asked the wife when it was and typically with her elephant abilities related to not forgetting she replied "well the kids were 10 and 7. They are now 30 and 27, there's me thinking a couple of years ago.

Return to “General Off Topic Chat”