making the Watsonian Stratford sidecar dirt road friendly.

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

Flatty

making the Watsonian Stratford sidecar dirt road friendly.

Postby Flatty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:37 am

We retired out here in the Eastern Cape of South Africa 2 years ago. Both the wife and I enjoy riding around on our RE and Stratford sidecar but to really enjoy the wild life around here, we have to take to the dirt roads. This is where the Stratford let us down as its rubber axle and rigid body to chassis attachments did nothing for the passenger's comfort. I decided to modify it to suit our needs and the results were spectacular. No more spine jarring bumps when going over potholes or ruts and no more complaints from the better half in the chair.

I am going to show anyone else out there what we did and leave it up to you whether you would like to tackle the job yourselves. Its nothing more than a bit of fibreglass work, some cutting of steel strips and a bit of welding. The real secret was making use of rubber puffers that are fitted as standard to the Ural sidecars. These can be purchased seperately from your nearest Ural dealer or found on E Bay.

The first thing I did was remove the fibreglass body and reinforce it with some 4mm steel plates (cut for you by your friendly steel merchant) underneath as shown which were given two coats of resin and glass over them. I also gave the interior of the sidecar two layers of glass immediately above the steel plates. I then made up an attachment as shown that while clamping the steel tube in the front of the body, also allows some rotational movement to the body. Note the rubber insertion between the clamps and the tubing, just use sufficient force when tightening to allow a bit of rotation without too much side sway. As seen, this whole mechanism bolts to the body via the steel reinforcing plate glassed in beforehand.

I then made up the 1 inch square steel tube and plate frames as shown. These are to carry the weight of the sidecar and the bottom of the rubber Ural puffers are bolted to them as well via the clamps supplied by Ural. The puffers are then lined up with the steel plate at the rear of the body and bolted there to complete the job. I used High Tensile bolts throughout with lock nuts to prevent any disaster on the road.

A bit of black chassis paint completes the job and there you have it. A go anywhere sidecar that absorbs any bumps thrown at it, just ask my wife.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Flatty

Re: making the Watsonian Stratford sidecar dirt road friendl

Postby Flatty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:40 am

Just another shot of the outfit in its entirety.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi
that's a good idea and the rides sound fun

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Flatty

Postby Flatty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:25 pm

Two more views for clarity.

Flatty

Postby Flatty » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:20 am

My test rider gives her approval of the new comfort level in the sidecar

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:44 am

Hi
no crash hat was needed in achair in the UK, not sure of current rules though

Georg
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Flatty

Postby Flatty » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:36 pm

The local traffic cops in this area have stopped me a few times since we moved here, not to give me a ticket, but just to take pics of my dog....In her case the crash helmet rule was waived with smiles all round. Having a dog in my chair is a recipe for smiles and waves from passing motorists. Beats getting the finger any time...

Return to “Sidecar Chat”