Driving lessons

Chat about anything to do with sidecars and outfits. NOT BMW specific - all welcome

Moderator: Moderators

brunocrossley
Forum User

Driving lessons

Postby brunocrossley » Wed May 24, 2017 11:10 am

My first outfit is almost ready for the road. I realise that the accepted wisdom is to find a big open space and practise slowly, but is there anybody who does actual lessons? I suspect they'd be few and far between, but I'm in Lancashire if that helps. It would also probably be useful to get an expert opinion on my bike's setup, since I don't really know what a good 'un or a bad 'un is supposed to be like!
Before I put the body on the chassis, I climbed aboard the bike with the intention of making engine noises, and the sidecar wheel lifted off the deck.
Is it a case of "Oh yes, they all do that sir."
Its not so bad now its all fitted out and has 20 litres of water and a car battery in the back.
Cheap bikes never are.
78' R100RS
14' R nineT

windmill john
Forum User
Country of Residence: England
Location: Somewhere in Southern England. bip bip bip, loose lips sinks ships

Re: Driving lessons

Postby windmill john » Wed May 24, 2017 12:08 pm

I seem to recall that Watsonian sidecars used to offer lessons for their purchases. Might be worth a word with them, even though yours not from them.
http://www.kittos.co.uk
Best roads: 623 Burgos to Santander. A back road to Metz; can't remember which!
Schorsch - 1978-80 R65 - Has gone. No, not talking about it.
Max - 2009 F800GS- where’s the desert at!?
Too many bikes have come and gone, trying to be sensible now!

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Wed May 24, 2017 8:52 pm

You could try some of the local riding schools, or the federation of sidecar clubs
to see if there is anyone near to you to show you the ropes. If there is an active
sidecar or bike club locally, they may be able to help with the setup of your outfit.
I use standard tyre pressures for the bike, K100RS on standard rims & tyres, the
chair , a Watsonian Monaco with a K100 front wheel is in the 25 to 28psi range. The
pressure in the chair wheel is lower due to the lighter weight imposed on it compared
to normal use on a solo machine. Tyre pressure on the chair is a bit of trial & error
matching pressure to load, use, & what feels right when ridden, the wrong pressure
can lead to poor handling in the same way it can on a solo bike.
An empty chair chassis will tip very easily, anything over walking pace while
turning left will have the wheel off the floor. Even with the body fitted, but without
a passenger/ballast, left turns need to be taken fairly gently. Practice will show you
how your own outfit behaves.

brunocrossley
Forum User

Postby brunocrossley » Wed May 24, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks very much chaps.
Mk
Cheap bikes never are.
78' R100RS
14' R nineT

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Thu May 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Hi
on a left hander the chair comes up, (the wheel comes of the ground).

My natural reaction one time when learning was to straighten the bars, the wheel dropped back on to the ground but the plot then went straight on at a tangent to the curve, across the opposite lane on to the pavement, I was pleased there was no wall to hit.

F2 who were in Northamptonshire did lessons IIRC

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

gogs01
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:20 pm

..... on a left hander the chair comes up, (the wheel comes of the ground).
My natural reaction one time when learning was to straighten the bars, the wheel dropped back on to the ground but the plot then went straight on at a tangent to the curve, across the opposite lane on to the pavement, I was pleased there was no wall to hit .....
I'm sure this happens to all first-timers :smile:
My first (and only !) outing on an old BSA with double adult sidecar in the '60s included the sidecar wheel up, sidecar wheel down experience and I WAS heading for a wall ! :shock: Up on the (wide) pavement, down the pavement between wall and lamp post then back on to the road. Pillion moved to sidecar then head back to the owner (slowly !). Thank you very much, but no thank you very much !

The only three wheeler I've ridden since then was a Piaggio scooter - which was great fun ! :grin:
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Sun May 28, 2017 11:40 am

Hi
I road a few LH Chair combos, for years in fact, but could not get my hear round one with the chair on the right.

I tried a Nippy or Tippy or some such 2 at the front, 1 at the back tricycle once, I just could not get it to go where I wanted but great fun at 5mph

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Return to “Sidecar Chat”