Not yet but hopefully soon to be owner

We're a friendly bunch here so why not introduce yourself to the community

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Don't forget that you MUST log-in at least once every six months to keep your account active. Failure to do so will result in your account being deleted on the assumption that it's unused.

PLEASE only use this forum to introduce yourselves - technical queries here are likely to go unanswered.
Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Not yet but hopefully soon to be owner

Postby Mjolinor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:25 am

The forum was recommended to me by an existing member several weeks ago but I had a lot of problems registering, thanks to admin for sorting that.

63 years old, sort of retired electronic engineer in that generally I mess with whatever I want rather than doing what other people deem is necessary.

I have the chance of buying a 1977 BMW. Currently negotiating on the price. Neither the guy that owns it nor I have any idea what it is worth but his view is currently twice what mine is.

It has been a lot of years since I owned a bike in the UK, the last one being a Le Mans Moto Guzzi just under 40 years ago. I still have a Harley Roadster but that's in the States and as I am now retired I doubt that I will use it.

The bike I am hoping to buy is a black R80. I do not know the model but it has no fairing though it does have a windshield. It has done 42k miles and has stood since 2009. It has been owned most (if not all) of its life by the current owner who is now (I guess) in his 80s. Serviced regularly by local bike shops, the last being around 4 years ago.

I would appreciate any offers as to the value of such a beast if anyone cares to tender their opinion.

Rob Frankhamr
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Not yet but hopefully soon to be owner

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:40 am

HI,

welcome aboard.

A 1977 R80 would be a R80/7 and would have been a 'naked' bike when it left the factory. The R80RT didn't come in to production till 1982. This would be the first year of production of the R80 model. The R80 is a nice bike, arguably the smoothest of the /7 series, and while it doesn't have the power of the 1000cc engine, it is more than capable.The '77 model will have the slightly troublesome ATE front brakes with the master cylinder under the fuel tank. A somewhat quirky arrangement that requires a certain amount of effort to keep effective... otherwise there are no particular issues.

As for price... that depends very much on mileage, condition and originality. A perfect, low mileage, example might have an asking price of £3,000 while a poor (but complete and working) example might struggle to reach £1,000.

Buying a machine of this age is always a bit of a risk but, if you're willing to tinker, you will find yourself with a very nice and useable classic machine.

If you want any more considered feedback, you'd probably be better posting in the 'Airheads Q & A' forum. That's where all of the airhead types and gurus hang out.

Hope that helps

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Cheers for that, just what I was hoping for.

All my vehicles are for "tinkering" so no problem with that. I was thinking about £1000, last time I saw the guy he said he had looked and they are between 2 and 10 k. I have spoken to a few people and they all come out around £750, that includes the guy that recommended I join here, a friend who still does a lot with bikes generally and the guy that has serviced the bike. I have done some reading about the master cylinder and have been told to check the free play on the rear wheel. I haven't really looked closely at it yet but believe that it is absolutely original in all aspects apart from the screen which I thought was aftermarket when I first saw it.. Fingers crossed that hopefully I can get it. If I have any further questions I will post in the appropriate section. I didn't even know it was called an "airhead" so now at least I know where to go. I would have preferred one with the full fairing (old and averse to being wet) but I don't think I stand a chance of finding one better than this at that sort of money.

P-K
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Postby P-K » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi there,

Welcome to the Forum :smile:
Phil,
''93 R100GSPD : '17 R9T Urban G/S : '12 R1200R
Site Administrator, Assistant Webmaster and Official Club Tweeter @BMRidersClub

Jon S
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: UK

Postby Jon S » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi fella, welcome. I'm a retired mechanical engineer who is a Lancastrian missionary up here in the wild west of Cumbria.
Best of luck with your negotiations
JonS
"Never push a full commode" :grin:

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi
welcome, if you dont want to do the work yourself there is an independent garage that can help a dozen miles away

You dont need a fairing, a screen, hand gaurds and leg shields offers most of the weather protection and still keeps the bike small, search out some pictures of mine.

Although I live in Manchester I get to Burnley most weeks

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

Rob Frankhamr
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Rob Frankhamr » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:17 am

Cheers for that, just what I was hoping for.

All my vehicles are for "tinkering" so no problem with that. I was thinking about £1000, last time I saw the guy he said he had looked and they are between 2 and 10 k. I have spoken to a few people and they all come out around £750, that includes the guy that recommended I join here, a friend who still does a lot with bikes generally and the guy that has serviced the bike. I have done some reading about the master cylinder and have been told to check the free play on the rear wheel. I haven't really looked closely at it yet but believe that it is absolutely original in all aspects apart from the screen which I thought was aftermarket when I first saw it.. Fingers crossed that hopefully I can get it. If I have any further questions I will post in the appropriate section. I didn't even know it was called an "airhead" so now at least I know where to go. I would have preferred one with the full fairing (old and averse to being wet) but I don't think I stand a chance of finding one better than this at that sort of money.
HI,

I have to say I think £750 is a bit optimistic for an 'up and running' R80... good luck if you can get it...

There are a number of things that would pay from being looked at but almost everything can be fixed without too much trouble.

If you need any more information about the R80 or about airheads in general, there is a wealth of knowledge (and opinion :smile: ) on this forum. Just ask

Rob
Robin Frankham
ImageImageImage

Frankhams retirement home for elderly Boxers.

Jaythro
Forum User
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:08 am

Being very Honest

Any "Running airhead is way North of £1000 these days

The Hipsters love them and that drives the prices waaaaaaaaaay Up!
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:39 pm

It's not running and hasn't turned over for at least 5 years. Hopefully I will buy "as is" and will not even attempt to turn it over until at least all the oils are changed.

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:21 pm

Well sadly it isn't happening. The owner has had the bike a long time and was obviously sad at the thought of being too old to use it, wanted rid but very reticent so I haven't pushed him other than agreeing I would buy the bike.

While investigating a friend of mine knew the guy that had serviced the bike so my mate rang him to ask about the bike. It seems that the guy that serviced it has since bought it from under me, he must have gone straight up there after he learned that I was thinking of buying it and rather than giving the owner time to come to terms with selling he just went and did the deal.

It leaves me with a bitter taste, I could have hassled the guy and brought it home a month ago but didn't want to leave the owner with any regrets.

Oh well, back to looking. I really wanted a K75 anyway because I didn't want a normal Boxer budget in a bike but one that didn't need tax and MOT was certainly a desirable plus.

j8ejc
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby j8ejc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Welcome to the forum from Gtr Manchester.

Can't help you on the value but hopefully you wll be able to come to an agreement over the price that is acceptable to both parties

John
R1100RT

Return to “Introduce Yourself”