Laser Cleaning In Scotland...?

The new BM Riders Club Forum - OPEN TO ALL

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for the benefit of BM Riders Club Members but is open for all to share so that you can see the advantages of becoming a Club Member which would then permit you to attend Club events.
DingusMagee
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Laser Cleaning In Scotland...?

Postby DingusMagee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:02 am

Hello

Anyone know of a firm, in Scotland, who would do laser cleaning of bike parts?

I’d like to get the carburettors done, and thought to have them laser blasted along with the front hub, but apparently they would have sludge in the various orifices....so to speak :shock:

Bike has been sitting for quite a while, and I’d like to get everything ticketety-boo before she goes on the road

Thanks in advance

DM

AlexC67
Forum User

Re: Laser Cleaning In Scotland...?

Postby AlexC67 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:03 am

Where are you based?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

DingusMagee
Club Member 14

Postby DingusMagee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 am

Based in Aberdeenshire, Alex, and of course...my post should have read “...have them vapour blasted....” and not “...have them laser blasted....”. My bad typing. Sorry for any confusion

DM

AlexC67
Forum User

Postby AlexC67 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:11 am

My friend vapour blasts parts his business is Laverda Scozia, they are based in Linwood near Glasgow Airport.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

DingusMagee
Club Member 14

Postby DingusMagee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:21 am

Thanks, Alex....hope my mistyped post didn’t cause confusion. I meant laser cleaning for the carbs. Barry Brown,in Leven, vapour blasts the hubs of my wheels before he relaces them, but when asked about the carbs he said that the vapour blasting would leave some gunge where it wouldn’t do any good. Hence the query about laser cleaning

Thanks for the prompt response though 👍🏼

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:48 am

I think laser cleaning would be worse as far as foreign bodies in places you don't want goes. Vapour blast and ultrasonic clean is the best way in my opinion if you want them to look the part. Personally I would just ultrasonic clean and then make sure all the passageways are as they should be, after that manually clean if you want them to shine.

DingusMagee
Club Member 14

Postby DingusMagee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:18 pm

I think laser cleaning would be worse as far as foreign bodies in places you don't want goes. Vapour blast and ultrasonic clean is the best way in my opinion if you want them to look the part. Personally I would just ultrasonic clean and then make sure all the passageways are as they should be, after that manually clean if you want them to shine.
Thanks, that is helpful, Mjolinor, and come to think on it, that is what Barry Brown said when I’d phoned him. :roll:

So...where to have the ultrasonic thing done...? MrGoogle might know

Cheers again

DM

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Just buy an ultrasonic cleaner, they are not expensive and one gets brownie points from er indoors for making her jewels shine..

DingusMagee
Club Member 14

Postby DingusMagee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Just buy an ultrasonic cleaner, they are not expensive and one gets brownie points from er indoors for making her jewels shine..
Oooo....that is even more helpful: brownie points always needed! I saw the price of bench laser cleaners and thought that ultrasonic ones would be comparable

Many thanks for that

DM

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:44 pm

Those lasers for ablating metal are massive things, huge power. Not the sort of thing I would want to mess with. I have one here for ablating tattoos and that is scary enough.

DingusMagee
Club Member 14

Postby DingusMagee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:05 pm

There wee 3 litre ones specifically for motorcycle carburettors, costing around £130. They’re made for home use and are about the size of a small microwave. For banks of carbs there are larger ones, and the website gives detailed advice and instructions. If I could work out how to post a link....well, I would 😉

Mjolinor
Forum User

Postby Mjolinor » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:15 pm

Loads on ebay. You need a 6 litre for the Bing carbs or you have to turn the carb over and do them again. :)

The Chinese ones on ebay are very good if you get a reliable one. The problem is that a lot fail early on so pick a seller that ships from the UK and has warranty. If you use it 10 times and it still works then it will probably continue to work.

The secret is to not run it for more than five minutes ever. If you need more then do multiple five minute sessions. The time it takes you to walk across the garage and press the button gives them enough time to cool down.

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:41 pm

…...If I could work out how to post a link....well, I would

Get the webpage up on your browser and then just Copy the whole address of the webpage which is shown on the browser address bar.

Go to your forum post and just Paste the address into it - it will appear as a hyperlink after you have Submitted the post.

e.g. the browser address for this DRAFT post is: ….bmbikes.org.uk/posting.php?mode=reply&f=49&t=28539#preview [the https:// prefix has been removed to show the address and prevent it appearing as a hyperlink]

Which will appear as the following hyperlink when Submitted with the https:// prefix included:
posting.php?mode=reply&f=49&t=28539#preview
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

DingusMagee
Club Member 14

Postby DingusMagee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:58 pm

…...If I could work out how to post a link....well, I would

Get the webpage up on your browser and then just Copy the whole address of the webpage which is shown on the browser address bar.

Go to your forum post and just Paste the address into it - it will appear as a hyperlink after you have Submitted the post.

e.g. the browser address for this DRAFT post is: ….bmbikes.org.uk/posting.php?mode=reply&f=49&t=28539#preview [the https:// prefix has been removed to show the address and prevent it appearing as a hyperlink]

Which will appear as the following hyperlink when Submitted with the https:// prefix included:
posting.php?mode=reply&f=49&t=28539#preview
Cool...thanks GG

DingusMagee
Club Member 14

Postby DingusMagee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Loads on ebay. You need a 6 litre for the Bing carbs or you have to turn the carb over and do them again. :)

The Chinese ones on ebay are very good if you get a reliable one. The problem is that a lot fail early on so pick a seller that ships from the UK and has warranty. If you use it 10 times and it still works then it will probably continue to work.

The secret is to not run it for more than five minutes ever. If you need more then do multiple five minute sessions. The time it takes you to walk across the garage and press the button gives them enough time to cool down.
Nice ne Mjoliner, thanks

DingusMagee
Club Member 14

Postby DingusMagee » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Return to “BM Riders Club”