R1150 Input spline lube in 1 hour????!

Got some useful tips for doing a tricky job or know of a cheap alternate part? This is the place to list them.

Moderator: Moderators

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

R1150 Input spline lube in 1 hour????!

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi folks,

While browsing the internet re 'spline lubrication' I came across the following link which may be of interest and could apply to other BMW models: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r110 ... -hour.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to Pelican Parts Forum for the info.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

sykospain

Re: R1150 Input spline lube in 1 hour????!

Postby sykospain » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:53 am

Clever idea to use a needle syringe with a bent tip, but I'd be concerned about grease creep. Lovely phrase, reminds me of my nightclub days...

Incidentally the correct German name is spelt STABURAGS and it's still used in the factory and is still available to mere mortals like us ( at an inflated price ) from Klüber Lubricants. I had to pay an exorbitant £26 for a small 50g tube but it's fantastic stuff. Available in bulk in the UK from a firm in Southowram near Halifax at £250 for a big box of 'em. Never dries out as Honda Moly does, and as you see from my U-Toob video, edited to 40 mins from Chris Harris's 2-and-a-half-hour tutorial, only a garden-pea-sized blob is needed on a toothbrush to do the job after splitting the bike and carefully cleaning the crap out of each of the spline valleys with a dental pick. Chris says never, ever, ever lube the friction plate hub's splines. Just the gearbox input shaft splines every 20K miles.

And in fact as other forums will testify, reducing your bike to look as if somebody's just tossed a hand grenade under it is not all that much of a nightmare job - and at least you get the chance to do the lube job properly every coupla years or so, in addition to replacing the clutch plate with a modified spacer'ed one to ensure full engagement of the hub's splined area onto the entire 14mm length of the input shaft splines, and also to replace the stupidly under-specc'ed slave cylinder hidden inaccessibly on top of the back of the gearbox right in front of the shocker spring. Incidentally, a clutch slave cylinder which was designed for an upmarket push-bike and has a ridiculously small bearing that fails for fun, particularly if you make the cardinal mistake of ever slipping your bike's DRY clutch, or being in the habit of holding in the lever in first as you wait at a light or in a turn-across queue. That's the way to see-off your clutch and/or slave cylinder bearing in double-quick time.

Oh dear, but otherwise a lovely bike, the R-series 6-speeder, isn't it ?

AL in s.e. Spain

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi AL,

Thanks for the response to my very old post! :grin:

The info on the STABURAGS grease is much appreciated.

Is this your Youtube video here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD85yvKtVnE
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

sykospain

Postby sykospain » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:38 pm

Yes sir that's my edited version, where I refrain from pointing out the basic design fault in the 6-speed models' clutch position on the transmission's gearbox input shaft splines.

Every single R1100S and all the 1150 bikes suffer from the same fault - in that when BMW introduced the hydraulic clutch, the designer inadvertently moved the friction plate slightly away from full engagement on the transmission's input shaft splined area - a problem which doesn't affect any of the earlier 5-speed models, where the clutch plate's hub full covers the splines. See this 3 minute video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRW6SP9 ... r-XQ_9Yi7A

If you browse other R-series bike forums on the topic of "Clutch Plate Splines" - you'll read numerous awful stories of sudden unannounced transmission failures, evidenced by a loud grinding noise and no further forward motion. People stranded for hours at the roadside, then later facing BMW Stealer bills of around a grand sterling.

But the Stealer simply replaces the clutch plate with the very same Sachs AG OEM friction plate whose hub is 6mm too short; thus perpetuating the design fault. Thankfully earlier this year a Florida rider of a Rockster has designed a stepped metal washer, or 'spacer', to interpose between the de-rivetted hub and its friction plate, thus moving it that bit more backwards onto the entire length of the gearbox input splines and solving the wobbling, scrinching effect that causes the splines to tear themselves to bits, in some instances as early as 7K miles but usually at around the 30K mark, resulting in this awful disastrous premature spline failure that can affect all the above series of bikes...a fault that Berlin consistently refuses to acknowledge or rectify by simply asking Sachs AG, their clutch plate supplier, to provide a revised plate with a hub that's long enough to cover all the existing length of the gearbox input shaft's splined area, instead of leaving part of that length uncovered.

Incidentally my grandson in the UK, in his metallurgy lab., has radio-spectrometry'ed the nature of the hub component of the clutch plate and described it as:-
"Chinese Pig Iron with a thin coat of nickel plating showing numerous breached areas".
There's BMW 'quality' for you...

Return to “Tricks 'n' Tips..”