changing brake pads

Got some useful tips for doing a tricky job or know of a cheap alternate part? This is the place to list them.

Moderator: Moderators

spot

changing brake pads

Postby spot » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:58 am

I am a bit trepidous about posting in here because the few flakes of wisdom which have settled in my bonce have no doubt been well buried under snowdrifts of the stuff in a lot of others. But everyone starts somewhere so its just possible this tip may help some unfortunate soul with even less expertise than me!

When you replace brake pads it helps to remove the lid on the reservoir to let a bit of pressure of so that the pads dont keep springing back and shuting the gap!

It also helps to turn the handlebars so that the reservoir is high up first and when you mop up the spilt fluid cos you didnt it is important not to use swmbos favourite tea towel 8-[

gogs01
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: changing brake pads

Postby gogs01 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:35 pm

Just read your tips, and can relate to them having gone through the mopping up spilt fluid thing in the past.
I wonder how you found out that the use of the favourite tea towel is not the best idea ??.......
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Baldyonekenobi

Re: changing brake pads

Postby Baldyonekenobi » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Ever used her favourite hairdressing scissors to cut some insulation when changing a plug? Not recommended. The things she wanted to cut were softer and involved a rusty hacksaw blade.

Return to “Tricks 'n' Tips..”