scratching new garage floor paint!!

Got some useful tips for doing a tricky job or know of a cheap alternate part? This is the place to list them.

Moderator: Moderators

owyerbin

scratching new garage floor paint!!

Postby owyerbin » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:09 pm

Folks - newish to the forum but on my first post I promised to contribute so here goes...

I've just gone through a major kitchen/bedroom.garage extension at home and have spent hours painting the new garage floor.

It looks brill!!

So having spent virtually all of our pennies on the new build I managed to top it off last weekend with a 1983 R80RT which needs loads of TLC but underneath is a really sweet well looked after bike.

So into the garage after riding back from Nottingham to Brum. Onto the centre stand and - yup call be a**ly retentive but bang goes my new painted floor as the bike slides backwards after a sligtly overenthusiastic lift onto the centre stand.

The point of the post - I've been using a flexible chopping board from Ikea under the centre stand - its spot on the right size - only a few mil thick and is as cheap as chips (about 3.00 for two if I remember)

I appreciate most people perhaps won't be quite as bothered as me about their garage floor (I probably wont be after I've dropped a few things on it) but if it helps anyone - happy days.

In their own inimitable style they are called 'Dralla' flexible chopping boards

Andy B

Snowbike

Postby Snowbike » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:32 pm

Hi you!

-Does the colour of the floor go well to your bike? That is wery important! ;-)
He-he...
Oh, and a good garage has a place for cold cans, if you know what I mean... ;-)

;-) Liv.

Dan Gleebitz

Postby Dan Gleebitz » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:09 pm

Years ago I got hold of some floor paint which was bought to paint lines on the firms car park. We ended up with a couple of tins over, so I grabbed it as it went in the skip. Only problem was that it was yellow ... I now apologize to who ever owns that house now and the "bright" floor it had.

It was very good for trying to locate the dropped circlip though

owyerbin

Postby owyerbin » Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:35 pm

Absolutely on the cold cans

Along with my old stereo and a PC that was in the loft that just got fitted with a radio network card care of good ol ebay.

I may never have to move out.

Oh and I opted for the clear one - funnily enough the pair of chopping boards came in clear and red - the red clashed with the floor and the bike - which at one time was the metalic red - more like a faded ginger now...

Andy B

rich
Forum User
Country of Residence: Australia

scratchproof

Postby rich » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:18 am

Owyerbin

Nothing to be ashamed about by using a chopping board to protect your floor, I use one too. Although mine is to stop my garage floor scratching my newly powder coated centre stand!

R.

Richard Todd

Postby Richard Todd » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:23 pm

Smart garage floors must be a Birmingham thing.

I did mine in its entirety with carpet tiles that were being lifted at an office block I was working in about 10 years ago.

So it just gets hoovered every now and then! :cool:

Musepaul

Re: scratching new garage floor paint!!

Postby Musepaul » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi just read your idea , made me smile
I have been using ikea stuff for other things for years
I had same problem after the same build as you so I used aldi door mat , under £4.00
but then I was given a carpet from my work , shear bliss and warm knees all winter long, only problem I have to move bike so I can hover it Under my wife direction!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers:

Tim (Midland Section)

Re: scratching new garage floor paint!!

Postby Tim (Midland Section) » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:46 pm

I haven't painted the garage floor, the oil leaks from 2 brit bikes keep the dust down :smile:
However, a work colleague skip dived some industrial carpet tiles, which are ideal for separating old git from cold mucky floor. Ideal also for when one has to do unscheduled car maintenance on a soggy drive.

Return to “Tricks 'n' Tips..”