G650GS 2011 facelift

Post your G Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

The Baron

G650GS 2011 facelift

Postby The Baron » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:15 pm

Is it true that the 2011 G650GS is to get a face lift makeover or is it a whole new bike?

Geoff Thompson

Re: G650GS 2011 facelift

Postby Geoff Thompson » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:23 pm

This is what I know about it. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... EPI-127540" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It will be launched in the UK 1st March 2011. It seems to be a hybrid of the old F650GS and the current 800cc F650GS with a single cylinder engine. If it had spoked wheels I could be tempted.

Andy Raggett
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: England

Postby Andy Raggett » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:22 am

If it had spoked wheels I could be tempted.
I suspect it won't be long before a pair of spokes wheels will be available, would look better with them.

Klaus

Postby Klaus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:10 pm

I think 'facelift' is the keyword. I got quite excited when I heard of the 'new' model as I'm looking for a second bike to complement my G650 X-Country (so that both my wife and I can ride into the sunset together :grin: ) and a GS versions seemed ideal for my planned use. But I honestly can't see the point of BMW using what amounts to the old 'F' series cycle parts with the new, although less powerful, G series engine when they have the much lighter and stronger frame, forks, etc. from the G series proper - let's call these the 'X' bikes for now despite the risk of confusion with BMW's new Sinclair lookalike! - a altogether winning design in the X-Challenge, the X-Country which, in my humble 'o' is somewhat underrated (OK, I own one!) and the admittedly silly X-Moto.

Indeed, the only down side of the original X's is their feeble fuel capacity, but that could easily have been improved with the GS styling, allowing a wider saddle with its underslung fuel tank. But as it stands the new GS is seriously overweight and underpowered. I don't know who is making the decisions in Berlin these days as there is a huge market in touring/adventure bikes for the vertically challenged! As for me it's back to 'Plan A' - making several changes to my X-Country in preparation for a very long tour next year - thus creating a new variant al of my own, the X-Continent! :cool: - and if this works I'll be on the lookout for another X-Country!

Regs

Simon

STrider
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby STrider » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:24 pm

I had a good look at it at the NEC Bike Show and actually prefer it to the 650 Twin in looks. I've used both the F650GS single and the X - Challenge on the BMW Off Road Course and was very impressed with the F's abilities. Lets face it though, most owners will rarely use them off road hence the decision to fit alloy wheels but as a simple day to day bike they will be great. Its a shame though that the X bikes were not developed further; they seem to have died a premature death.

The one bike at the show that did impress me was the new Triumph 800 Tiger..... clearly aimed at the BMW 800GS in every way but with a better seat!
John

F800GS

Geoff Thompson

Postby Geoff Thompson » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:27 pm

Its a shame though that the X bikes were not developed further; they seem to have died a premature death.
Market forces I think - they did not sell in any numbers.

Klaus

Postby Klaus » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi John, et al,

Thanks for that update about the new Trumpet. I've seen a few youtubes about this bike and it certainly looks set to challenge the F800 GS. The trouble I have with both these bikes though is their weight, seat height (although I don't know what this is for the Triumph) and above all, perhaps, the suitability of in-line multi-cylinder engines for off-road riding (I just typed 'oof-road' - Freudian perhaps :blackeye: ). I can't see that they have enough bottom end for ease of use unless you're into going hell for leather* - not such a good idea where I find myself at times!

Back to the new GS: I see that the bike has switchable ABS - a brilliant feature in my experience of the X-Country - as well as heated grips as standard. I lament the latter dearly given where Iive - to get anywhere from my house I must ride down into the valleys of the Spanish Pyrenees, where daylight (sic) temperatures rarely rise above 5º below! So the package can't be bad, and I suppose the aim is to offer entry level model for the BMW 'experience'. But I do still think it's a shame that the new model didn't incorporate the X bikes' cycle parts.

Regs

Simon

* these guys were riding a trio of brand new Super Ténérés - OK, so that seems to go against what I said, but check out their subsequent vid to see what happens next!

STrider
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby STrider » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:37 pm

Hi Simon,
The seat height of the Triumph felt the same as the 800GS ....it might be slightly lower as the seat is wider and plusher. I suspect that the bike really has been designed more for road work and the gentler gravel tracks...not quite as rough as some of those in that video! That looked fun although some of those drops off the roads looked a bit scary!
John

F800GS

johnnyboxer

Postby johnnyboxer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Its a shame though that the X bikes were not developed further; they seem to have died a premature death.
Market forces I think - they did not sell in any numbers.

More like inefficient BMW marketing.............secondhand they are in high demand (XChallenge/XCountry) in UK and USA

CT
Forum User

Postby CT » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:44 pm

Hi Simon,
The seat height of the Triumph felt the same as the 800GS ....it might be slightly lower as the seat is wider and plusher. I suspect that the bike really has been designed more for road work and the gentler gravel tracks...not quite as rough as some of those in that video! That looked fun although some of those drops off the roads looked a bit scary!
The two Triumph models mimick the F650GS twin and the F800GS twin one with alloy wheels slightly lower.
I sat on the adventure model wire wheels etc. at the show and was suprised how comfortable it is I would say it is the same height as my F800GS with the standard seat but it is definitely more comfortable, overall it costs around the same, is slightly heavier, develops more BHP, but until I have a test ride couldn't say whether this means anything to me in the real world.
But overall a good copy of the F800GS the best bike I have ever owned!

Klaus

Postby Klaus » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi CT, et al,

I take your point about the F800 - the shame of it all is that the 'genuine 'G' series doesn't/didn't offer the same benefits as your bike, which I've drooled over more than once - but it's simply too big for me and mine.

Loved your trip report of the West Coast - although by now it must be getting pretty full of of ex-Taoiseachs living quiely out there - only joking!

To you all who've watched the video: yes, those precipices were indeed terrifying*, especially as I went along that route the day after that video was made, when a huge thunderstorm - you can see it building up in some of the shots - had brought down numerous boulders about the size of a top box, all of which seemed to be waiting around the blind bends. What didn't help was the prospect of other bikers on the same madcap scheme coming the other way!

Oh well, next year I'm off on a circumnavigation of the Iberian Peninsular - an alternative to a trip to the Arctic Circle which seems to have been relegated to the following year :evil:

Regs

Simon

* bit of course I should have know better - here is my 'local' ravine just a few miles from where I live. It's not for motorbikes that's for sure (and there was no hand rail until a year or so ago!), but if you're feeling brave watch what the Catalan mountain bikers get up to there! NB the mountain section is brilliant on my G650 but you cannot ride through the ravine!

Return to “G Series Technical Queries”