Aftermarket rear shock for G650 X-Country

Post your G Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

Klaus

Aftermarket rear shock for G650 X-Country

Postby Klaus » Mon May 09, 2011 5:59 am

Boo hoo,

My rear shocker has gone after only 20,000 kms!!!

Firstly, does anyone know of a cheaper afternarket alternative to my spending 850 Euros (I live in Eorolandia)

Secondly, I don't thnk this is a 'reasonable wear and tear' issue: is there any way I can reclaim replacement from BMW? The bike is four years old and so out of warranty.

Thanks

Simon

Geoff Thompson

Re: Aftermarket rear shock for G650 X-Country

Postby Geoff Thompson » Mon May 09, 2011 6:35 am

You can get a Hagon for £299 or a Hyperpro for around £390 but both may be to special order. As to a "reasonable wear and tear issue" all you can do is ask BMW. In my opinion you are unlikely to get anywhere but you never know. There are many variable to take into account such as what type of use its had, what weight has been carried etc, etc.

Klaus

Postby Klaus » Wed May 11, 2011 9:38 am

Thanks Geoff,

Your hint has been extremely helpful. I'm in the process of ordering a Wilbers shock.

In case it's useful to anyone: I quickly discounted the Hagon option both becaiuse of the numerous reports of failure and reports of of poor service - borne out by the fact that they never replied to my mails enquirying for price/model, etc.!

So it was over to the Dutch built Hyperpro and a few English importers. The upshot was the link to Wilbers as a more suitable althernative. In fact it appears that Hyperpro only make a shocker for the X-Challenge, which is considerably different, i.e. higher!

Looking around the Wilbers details it didn't take me long to decide on that. A note for other 'foreigners' Wilbers shocks are about €100 cheaper from the UK than in Spain - even allowing for delivery! Ho-hum.

Thanks once again

Simon

Geoff Thompson

Postby Geoff Thompson » Wed May 11, 2011 8:38 pm

In case it's useful to anyone: I quickly discounted the Hagon option both becaiuse of the numerous reports of failure and reports of of poor service - borne out by the fact that they never replied to my mails enquirying for price/model, etc.!
Can't agree there - they are an excellent company to deal with and I have very few problems with the hundreds we've sold at Motorworks. They offer a two year unlimited mileage warranty and I've never known them turn down a claim unlike some whose shocks cost 3 times as much.

I know email is convenient and we all blast them off willy nilly but when you see the other side which is to come to work on a Monday morning with 300 emails in the in box and a phone that won't stop ringing you can see why it can sometimes take ages to get a reply.

Return to “G Series Technical Queries”