Cut Cables

Post your G Series Technical Q&A's here

Moderator: Moderators

AndyPaul

Cut Cables

Postby AndyPaul » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:31 pm

I have recently bought a F650GS a few months ago and decided to get it serviced by BMW as it hadn't been serviced in a while and wanted a good check over. During the service the garage said that the ABS switch and the 4 way indicator switch did not work, during the service they found out why, the cables had been cut. I told them to leave it as the cost to fix was a bit too much. Any ideas as to why someone would do this before I look into trying to fix.

Many thanks for any advice ...

george baker
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: uk

Re: Cut Cables

Postby george baker » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:53 pm

HI
which F650? Not sure why the wires will have been cut

George
Member 21, R100R, and an under used K75

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:06 pm

Hi AndyPaul,

Welcome to the forum!

There could be various reasons why someone would cut wiring - however it's done and not worth speculating on - you might speak with the previous owner about it.

You can fix the cut wiring by soldering and sleeving then re-wrapping the repaired wiring in fabric-based fire-retardant harness tape.

1. First ascertain what wire is to be connected to what wire - the wire colours and size are a guide here - if you are lucky, all the wires will be different colours making it easy to match them up. If possible, try and stagger the joints to avoid creating a 'lump' in the harness.

2. Slide a heat shrink sleeve over one of the wires to be joined so that the sleeve is long enough to cover the joint with some spare length over the insulation at each end.

3. Bare the ends of the wires to be joined and twist them together IN LINE with the wires so that you have a nice straight joint which the sleeve can easily slide over. Keep the joint as short as possible.

4. SOLDER (important for future reliability) the twisted wire ends together - the solder should flow neatly into the joint without any lumps and present a bright shiny appearance.

5. Slide the heat shrink sleeve equally over the soldered joint and shrink carefully with a heat gun or hairdryer.

6. When all the cut wires in a cable bundle have been joined, wrap the repaired harness (loom) with proper fabric-based fire-retardant Vehicle Harness Tape to prevent any short circuit setting fire to the harness.

7. If you need to add additional wiring, use the same wiring colours and wire size as existing.

Here is a source of Vehicle Wiring parts including coloured wiring sold by the metre:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/V ... mepage.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do a proper job of the repair and it will last the life of the bike.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:47 pm

Wow, thanks for the reply and help. It is a 2004 model, not sure who the provious owner was before the shop had it who sold it to me. During the BMW service they said that part of the service included a free wiring harness checkover with a few bits replaced as instructed by BMW, the technician said my harness was a mess, somebody had bodged a load of it together. I will relink all the cables and see what happens.

Thanks Again

chasbmw
Forum User

Postby chasbmw » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Are you sure that a 2004 650 has ABS?

Sounds unlikely to me
Charles
2016 CCM 450
1975 R90/6
1958 R50
2012 R1200R

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:15 pm

Yup 2004 had ABS

If the bike rides okay be careful because the ABS module drives the speedo reading and I had to eliminate an ABS unit a while back and "struggled" to sort the speedo But all good in the end
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

Return to “G Series Technical Queries”