Shipping to New Zealand

Tell us about your travel and trips.....

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is for the stories of your travel and trips. Keep us all enthralled with your adventures...
Global864
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Shipping to New Zealand

Postby Global864 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:09 pm

Its long been a dream of mine to tour NZ by bike, but hiring them a bike once there seems so expensive it makes your teeth bleed, especially if you intend to go for an extended trip. Does anyone have an idea of the cost of shipping a bike out there (and back), or perhaps an alternative to hiring ie buying and selling back?
Many thanks

Jockboxer
Forum User
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Shipping to New Zealand

Postby Jockboxer » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:55 pm

HughMcQ
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

Postby HughMcQ » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:02 am

CharlieVictor
Forum User
Country of Residence: France

Postby CharlieVictor » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:23 pm

Its long been a dream of mine to tour NZ by bike, but hiring them a bike once there seems so expensive it makes your teeth bleed, especially if you intend to go for an extended trip. Does anyone have an idea of the cost of shipping a bike out there (and back), or perhaps an alternative to hiring ie buying and selling back?
Many thanks
Buying and reselling NEW is not that much cheaper than renting I'm afraid, although maybe NZ is different...

A friend of mine who wanted to do the same thing as you in the US just approached a Harley dealership and asked them if they would sell him a preowned hog and buy it back after his return trip. There was a part of trust involved, but the deal went well, both parties agreeing on buy back value before the transaction.

Just an idea...
1978 BMW R100S "Naked"
1999 W650 RS "Twin with a kick"

Global864
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Global864 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks for the advice I'm still looking at all the options. It seems that getting the bike there may not be the only hurdle, there is a possible issue with MOT and insurance cover too.
But thanks again.

krankshaft
Forum User
Country of Residence: switzerland

Postby krankshaft » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:05 am

Hi, Global
I was in NZ 10 years ago and found I could pick up a cheap used motorcycle and resell it
almost for the same price 2 months later. I bought a Honda 1100 Shadow for 2200NZD and sold it before
I left for 2100. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but I bought it in a hurry and I kind of bonded with it.
The procedure for registering and insuring a bike is very straightforward in NZ, compared to UK (all done at the post office in a few minutes) and it is an unbelievably beautiful place to explore on a motorcycle. Hope this helps
Ride safe
Jim

Return to “Your Travel Tales”