Ignition switch

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

baldylocks
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Ignition switch

Postby baldylocks » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Good evening fellow beemers,I'm having a problem with my ignition switch on a 2007 R1200R it doesn't always make a connection when first turned on,my question is can the switch be replaced without having to connect to a diagnostic tool to link the new switch in.many thanks in advance.

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Ignition switch

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:34 pm

First, I'm not familiar with the R1200 series so the following may or may not be accurate so wait for others to comment as well:

This might be a problem with either the Ignition Switch or the Ring Antenna.

Ignition Switch:

Before replacing a dodgy switch which may just be dirt on the contacts, I would be inclined to flood the switch with Contact Cleaner (Halfords) or even WD40 in the hope that the fluid may find its way down to the switch contacts.
Work the Ignition On/Off a number of times after allowing a reasonable time for the fluid to seep down.

On my R1100RT, the Ignition switch has two parts - the top part is the mechanical lock mechanism which is connected to an electrical switch module fitted by means of a grub screw to the bottom of the mechanical part.
The electrical switch part can be separated after the hidden grub screw is removed leaving the mechanical part secured to the top yoke by means of security screws - these screws need to be drilled out to replace the mechanical lock which is a pig of a job.

Removal of the electrical part allows it and its sub-harness to be cleaned/replaced/repaired without having the problem of removing/replacing/fitting the mechanical part and rekeying.

BMW tend to retain earlier proven designs so your R1200R might just have the same electrical/mechanical Ignition Lock arrangement.
Also have a look at RealOEM.com to see if the lower electrical switch part on the mechanical Ignition Switch is a spares item.

Looking at the R1200R wiring diagram, the Ignition Switch itself appears to be just that and serves the electro-mechanical purpose of connecting the Battery +12v to the various electronic Control Modules.

The Ignition Switch itself does not appear to be coded to any of the electronic modules on the bike and so it would just seem to be a replacement item but requiring to be physically matched to the correct key so as to operate the mechanical lock part.

Ring Antenna:
However, I believe that your CANbus bike Ignition may also be fitted with something called a Ring Antenna which reads a transponder in your key when you insert it in the Ignition Switch - if this Ring Antenna is faulty you will get the dash display fault code 'DWS' and the bike will not start.
The Ring Antenna is not as reliable as it could be and there have been past problems with this unit.

I don't think that there is a battery in your key and that the transponder code is just scanned by the Ring Antenna to authenticate the correct key.
The code read from the Ignition Key by the Ring Antenna MUST match the code stored in the ECU or the bike will not start.

See how it goes.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

baldylocks
Forum User

Postby baldylocks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks for the reply GG i wondered about the antenna but there's no fault code appearing,by turning the switch slowly bike will go into cycling mode(doing the electrical checks) but by the time key has clicked into it's on position all electrics disappear,i have drowned the switch with contact cleaner and switched on and off to help clean contacts,I think i will continue with this a few days longer,thanks again GG.

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:12 pm

Keep your eye on this thread in case someone else has experienced this and comments.
Let us know the outcome - good luck! :smile:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

baldylocks
Forum User

Postby baldylocks » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:46 pm

Spoke to motorworks Friday,apparently it's just the bottom of the switch ( the rotary part ) that would need to be replaced and NO NEED for any diagnostic tool,fortunately for me soaking it with contact cleaner seems to have done the trick,hope this helps anyone with this problem.

Galactic Greyhound

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks for the update.
The switch sounds very similar to that fitted to my R1100RT where the bottom (electrical) part can be easily removed after unscrewing the hidden grub screw:

Click to Enlarge/Save As
ignswitch.jpg

SOURCE:
"Author: Dirtrider [BMWST]
Date: 07/08/2013
Ref: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... 220&page=2

Evening Snowy

Those security screws are to remove the entire ignition/lock assembly.

All you need to do is remove the lower electrical switch itself (see picture). There is little screw holding the
electrical switch in & you can remove that without removing the entire assembly. You might find some sealer over
the screw head."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.

baldylocks
Forum User

Postby baldylocks » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:46 pm

thanks for taking the time to upload this info,this could save a lot of wasted time should i need to replace it,many many thanks GG

Monty's Motorcycles
Forum User

Postby Monty's Motorcycles » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:17 am

If yours is an R1200R there are two small t10 torx screws on the underside and the wiring plugs straight into the switch itself. It's even easier than on the R1100/1150 set up above.

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”