Stainless headers and acid.....

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Stainless headers and acid.....

Postby milleplod » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 pm

I've just spent 2 hours in the garage getting nowhere trying to clean up my RT's stainless headers - I'm sweating like a sweaty thing! :lol: There's years of crud baked onto them - I've tried the superstrong Harpic (9% hydrochloric content), it's barely touched them, despite lots of scrubing and rubbing. A mate suggested a visit to the local powder coaters - he's had various car and bike parts done there, they've got an acid bath for paint removal. Has anyone tried having headers acid-dipped to get the crap off them? Any observations....?! :-k

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Ruralman
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Stainless headers and acid.....

Postby Ruralman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:28 pm

I've just spent 2 hours in the garage getting nowhere trying to clean up my RT's stainless headers - I'm sweating like a sweaty thing! :lol: There's years of crud baked onto them - I've tried the superstrong Harpic (9% hydrochloric content), it's barely touched them, despite lots of scrubing and rubbing. A mate suggested a visit to the local powder coaters - he's had various car and bike parts done there, they've got an acid bath for paint removal. Has anyone tried having headers acid-dipped to get the crap off them? Any observations....?! :-k

Pete
Hi Pete,
Have you tried paraffin ?
I've found it's quite good at softening up cruddy parts of bike's.
Regards
Keith
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:47 am

Hi Keith.

I tried paraffin, white spirit, WD40....if it was in the garage, I tried it! :lol: I've found a local metal polisher and am thinking they might be a better choice than the acid bath - if I get time, I'll call inlater to see if they can help.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Mjolinor
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Postby Mjolinor » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:51 am

A metal polisher is the only choice if you want them to be shiny again. Good luck keeping them that way, you will have to wear gloves to fit them and never touch them without cleaning them before you start the engine again.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member
Country of Residence: uk

Postby george baker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:32 am

Hi
paint strippers "Acid Baths" seldom are acid, and usually denature the paint.

No harm asking though.

Industrially we used to use Caustic HOT or Methylene Chloride, COLD with a water seal on top. Dont confuse UnHeated Hot Caustic with the Cold stripper, as an MGB owner discovered when his part dissolved.

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

milleplod
Forum User

Postby milleplod » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:51 am

Well, I'm rethinking this now.....the headers' part number is 7691717....which means they're bloody chromed, not stainless! :oops: So, I think a metal polisher is the way forward. :lol: I kept the stainless headers on my 1200ST looking very nice during my 6/7 years ownership simply by spending 15 mins every few weeks with some Peek and a cloth - they never looked manky. These RT ones are really, really manky, which I don't like at all! :smile:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”