Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

nikon70
Forum User
Country of Residence: UK

First ride - help

Postby nikon70 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:49 pm

hey guys,

some of you may know i have been after a RT, well i took a 63 plate out for a test ride today.

will need to get a lower seat and i found it difficult to walk it backwards up onto my driveway and into my garage, is there any knack to it as it felt really heavy! and like it was going to tip over.

otherwise loved the journey, but the higher seat didn't inspire confidence.

without knowing i can touch the floor with ease and wheel it backwards onto my driveway not sure it's the right thing for me to get :-k

Tango
Forum User

Re: First ride - help

Postby Tango » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:12 pm

Would you have the width in your garage to spin the bike around on a small turntable. Made life a lot easier for me when I had an RT.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Centre-Stand ... SwRYBZjXck

Had mine for three years now, still works a treat.

https://youtu.be/57JDdSNgNLc
Regards,
Marty
(2012) R1200GS Sold
(1992) R80GS
(1987) R100GS Bumble Bee

nikon70
Forum User

Postby nikon70 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:27 pm

nope, but outside i would have :) that is a possible solution

it's a lazy susan for motorbikes

kent_instructor10
Forum User
Country of Residence: Kent, UK

Postby kent_instructor10 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:10 am

Glad you enjoyed riding it. Great bikes!

Was the standard seat in the lower of the two positions? I dont think low seats are a problem though as im sure my 07 had one, although i only found out after i sold it and bought the 08.

I think the knack is to take your time with manouevering them, and with care and practice the confidence builds and the bike becomes smaller. Initially they can be daunting. But compared to an fjr, Pan or Gtr they are "light".
Just dont lean the bike away from you or too far towards you when manual handling. If in doubt move it in small sections initially. Sometimes getting off the bike to push is easier than sitting on it, the risk with sitting and pushing is if your foot slips then it is easy to lose control and support and gravity takes over.

The best technique for pushing backwards is to hold the left handlebar, place right hand on the rear carrier and side step.

I dont know how steep your drive is, and this may make the above manual handling options impossible, the turntable sounds a good option. Good luck with it all.
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2012 R1200GS Triple Black; Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!
http://www.invictamotorcycletraining.co.uk

nikon70
Forum User

Postby nikon70 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:08 pm

I did finally manage it, the Seat was a standard seat in the low position and walked it by side stepping as you mentioned, walking to back when on it would not be possible due to my ickle legs.

It’s not a steep incline, just have to get it from the road, over the drop kerb and over my gates runner, then small incline up the drive to my garage which is only two car lengths in total but felt like an eternity.

Couldn’t get it in the garage with both panniers on which isn’t an issue as they were bmw oem ones and the police version are slimmer.

If I could be more confident manoeuvring I think I’d be happy, just not use to such a large bike.

But it was 3deg when I took it for a ride and it kept me nice and warm which is really inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lolo
Country of Residence: Portugal

Postby Lolo » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:30 pm

Its just confidence the heavier the bike the more balanced it feels to me. AT 5ft 2" and 9st I can understand your predicament. :grin:

I found if I was parking in a garage or carpark space with a slope I would stay on the bike and back it in for downward slopes and ride it out and the opposite if the slant was the other way. To get over gate catches I would just roll it back and forth until it bumped over them. Sometimes I would have to ride onto the curb and then back in.

Its not the fastest way to move but it works. I often had men come and takeover or try to! ](*,) because they could not be patient while I moved my bike or didn't like to think I was struggling even though I wasn't, I was just doing it at my own pace! The more you get used to the bike the less stressful it will seem.

I was nearly always the last to park if in a group, which I think made other people think I was nervous about parking but I was actually carefully assessing where I was going to park for ease of leaving and invariably I was first out because I could just ride off and didn't have to maneuver my bike.

Putting it on the main stand was always a stand back and just go for it if you are having a lack of confidence with it that's when it overbalances.

Glad you managed it =D> it will get easier!
Living the dream :sunny:

goldy
Forum User
Country of Residence: uk

Postby goldy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Would you have the width in your garage to spin the bike around on a small turntable. Made life a lot easier for me when I had an RT.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Centre-Stand ... SwRYBZjXck

Had mine for three years now, still works a treat.

https://youtu.be/57JDdSNgNLc
Get a Lazy Susan off Ebay and screw a metal plate on it total cost about £12.00 and works fab.
2001 BMW R1150R now without ABS. Now gone and riding Pan European.

nikon70
Forum User

Postby nikon70 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Well I’m back on the case again, I’ve gone through two Honda CBF’s since my last bike was stolen in London and I need a Euro3 to comply with the ULEZ rules that come in April 2019.

I’ve been offered a 03/2009 RT-P with 54k on the clocks.

I’m all up to speed on the clutch replacement costs, ESA failure costs, ABS bypass should this fail, fuel strip issues, corrosion on the engine case and foot peg hangers, oil leaks from the engine and drive shaft...

So all in all basically a tractor with lots of potential faults.

That said I’ve been offered it for £2k (no MOT)...

Should I bite? Or walk away?

I can equally get a RT-P 19k 2011 for £4k but it’s double the money... and I’m already broke as hell.

Dilemma

Need your help in making the ‘right’ decision.

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:28 pm

Hi
younger bike, MoT, half the miles--- dealer? No MoT for half the money

Why do you need a bike? Why a BMW? Why an RT-P?

If you need a commute-able reliable bike why not a new Enfield? Or a new cheap Chinese scooter?

If you want a Toy then the old girl, the 2K difference buys you a lot of fettling bits

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

kent_instructor10
Forum User

Postby kent_instructor10 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Years ago i bought an r1100rtp with 50k on the clock for £2500. A good bike, a couple of issues but for me, good value biking from a machine that i enjoyed.

I appreciate the 1200 has potentially more expensive faults than the 1100, but its similar scenario. If youre set on such a bike, then its possibly a good buy. I would question why theres no mot though. If thats because it needs lots done then id reconsider, but if that can be done easily, great.

There are plenty of single cam rtp's out there, so id suggest research re age, condition, and mileage vs price. My personal view is that late twin cams are slightly better, whether they are £2k better has to be up to you. I would suggest a reserve of cash for possible issues is wise.

Police bikes didnt have ESA, so no worries there.
Now: 2013 R1200RT SE; 2012 R1200GS Triple Black; Previously: K1100RS, R1200RTPx2, R1100RTPx2, R1100RT, R80RT, K100LT and Jap stuff!

nikon70
Forum User

Postby nikon70 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:34 pm

Thanks guys!

Why BMW? Nice big bike for me, comfy ride etc... plus just love them.

Why RT-P? Cheaper than retail ones.

I’ve only gone and bought it! Negotiated down to £1,800 in the end. It’s tatty plastics and showing age related stuff but no leaks that I could tell, clutch seems to be in order too, lights working, tyre tread etc...

One thing that I did see was wrong is the front brake lever doesn’t fully ‘ping’ back I.e doesn’t disengage unless you push it out like 5mm... I’m thinking crud in the pin area?

Released some brake fluid from bottom calliper but still same issue.

Thoughts before I get heavy handed with it?

george baker
Moderator/Club Member

Postby george baker » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:41 am

Hi
how about taking it for an MoT? That way you get a new set of eyes on it and a list of jobs to do, Ride carefully cos of the front brake though

George
Member 21, R100R, K75 and a Hyosung 250 FOR SALE

nikon70
Forum User

Postby nikon70 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:36 pm

Hi
how about taking it for an MoT? That way you get a new set of eyes on it and a list of jobs to do, Ride carefully cos of the front brake though

George
Yeah I’m going to Tuesday next week, but wanted to change the master cylinder first.

Ordered a replacement so hope that comes Monday.

nikon70
Forum User

Postby nikon70 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Here’s an update for those who are interested.

MOT passed with flying colours :)

I also got in touch with Babcock who do the fleet servicing for the police, I now have the full service history.

60k service was done just before decommissioning, which was 800miles ago but two years ago 2016.

I did the master cylinder change and brake fluid change last night.

I will do the engine oil change shortly, should I do anything else? Of course I’ve oiled all moving joints etc...

Brake pads and discs are plenty of meat on them still, both batteries strong and hold charge.

Tyres have 2.5mm tread so they will need changing at some point.

kent_instructor10
Forum User

Postby kent_instructor10 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Good to hear. Nice one.

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”