Gear Indicator Fault R1200ST

Post your 'Hexhead' technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

skida
Forum User
Country of Residence: United Kingdom

Gear Indicator Fault R1200ST

Postby skida » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:55 am

I charged my battery up after being unable to start the bike. It still didn't start so started to think about a new battery. Going through all the possibilities I could think of I tried sitting on the bike and putting the side stand up. It started. The gear indicator was blank and there was no green "N" showing, but the bike was in neutral. I went for a 5 mile run to see how the gearbox was behaving and found it to be mechanically doing everything it should be doing, but the dashboard gear indicator was all over the place, sometime reading correctly and sometimes saying 3rd when it was in second, and sometimes I was pulling away in 1st with the green "N" showing.

When I got back I did a bit of research and apparently BMs from this period had a high incidence of this fault, not just STs, so I am wondering if anyone here has experienced it and what remedial action worked?

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bolsover

Re: Gear Indicator Fault R1200ST

Postby milleplod » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:23 am

Its probably the gear position sensor playing up, item 4 on the attached pic. I believe the contacts can be cleaned up as a 'fix', otherwise used ones are available from Motorworks for around £60. There's 2 types depending on manufacturing date btw.
Firefox_Screenshot_2021-02-01T08-20-21.548Z.png
Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Jaythro
Site Admin/Club Member
Country of Residence: Norn Iron

Postby Jaythro » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:57 am

A totally crap design of thing in a crap place

They are a variable resistance rather than the previous old fashioned contact switch on the 1100 1150 oilheads

Be warned if a good clean out and drying and an application of something Like ACF50 grease doesn;t cure it

You will likely need a new gear position indicator sensor
"Put your Ass on a motorcycle and ride with an attitude and the "Grim Reaper" will ride in your shadow!"

Islandmagee in case you're interested?

skida
Forum User

Postby skida » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:14 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas!

Pete: Where can I find out which of the 2 types relates to my 2005 model?
Jaythro: With my luck it will be a new sensor required. ps: I was interested and followed your link to Islandmagee. Nice place!

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bolsover

Postby milleplod » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:40 pm

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?kind=M&arch=0

Put the last 7 digits of your bike's VIN in the 'serial number' search box, that produces a parts list specific to your bike. Clicking on the 'manual transmission' section gives you a breakdown of part numbers. If in any doubt though, Motorworks will supply the correct one, new or used.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Mike P
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

Postby Mike P » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:53 pm

I’ve got a brand new one in its box for an 05 r1200gs. If it fits I would sell it. Cost new was I think £135.00, open to offers.

skida
Forum User

Postby skida » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:49 pm

As soon as the weather becomes a little warmer (ie. above freezing) I am going to take it off and inspect it. I am hoping it can be refurbished using a Dremel, WD40 and a little wire wool.

skida
Forum User

Postby skida » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:11 pm

An update:

In my Halfords Professional Box of Good Intentions, I have sockets going down to 4mm ( there isn't room for a socket unfortunately) and spanners going down to 10mm, which was too big. I eventually found a 6mm spanner in the Baccy Tin Filing System. Too small. No problem! I rang my brother in law knowing his tool collection to be fairly all-encompassing. "I need a 7mm spanner!" "Aye just come over" he replied. The 7mm was too big and he tried a different 6mm to confirm it was too small. By now he was rummaging in his rusting Brit-Bike era boxes and found a small spanner which fit - 1/4 inch!

I pictured some German Bike Builders, in 2005, saying "This batch of bikes is for UK market, so find the most awkward bolts to access and make them Imperial size - Hahahaha that will mess with their heads!" My head was so messed, I have left the job for another day. I have also since decided to just bite the bullet and buy a replacement unit, just in case a refurbishment doesn't last long and I have to do all that sh*t again.

Return to “Hexhead (R1200) Q&A's”