Rear Brake shoe mileage???

Post your Hexhead (watercooled) technical queries here

Moderator: Moderators

Rugbycoach
Country of Residence: Yorkshire

Rear Brake shoe mileage???

Postby Rugbycoach » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Gents I have an R1200GS Rallye. New march 2018. While on holiday checking the rear brake shoes at 4500 mls I thought they looked low. Went into a BMW dealer in Koblenz and after discussion decided to have them replaced, they were down to a little less than 1mm. I was booked in to a dealer in Austria for a 6K service and knowing the roads etc did not think the rear shoes would make the mileage. (two up full loaded) Front pads still loads of meat on.
I have been used to getting 20K plus from brake pads

I very rarely use rear brake other than his starts or when I get onto a corner a little hot!. I am a progressive front brake user.
This is my 6th BMW from R1159 RT through 1150GS' R1200 GSA DOHC and LC. I have good experience of linked brake systems and used to doing high mileage on all my bikes.

I have lodges a complaint with my regular local dealer who I have dealt with for over 15 years. Waiting for a response as I do not believe that the rear brake pad wear is acceptable. No I do not trail the rear brake with my foot as I ride with balls of feet on the pegs.

has anyone else had such poor performance from current rear pads on LC machines. I cannot believe 4500 miles is acceptable for replacement. I think faulty product.
Colin
R1200GSA

Galactic Greyhound
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: Rear Brake shoe mileage???

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi Colin,

Well spotted!

I agree with you - 4500 miles from a set of pads is not acceptable - 1mm thickness pads are dangerous, the more so on alpine roads 2-up with luggage!

The reason for saying unacceptable is that I believe you likely have a 6000 mile service interval or thereabouts.

This means that new pads fitted at a service would not last until the next service - not good!

The only reason I can think of for this happening is that the rear caliper is binding on the disk and the pads are not releasing.
This can be proven by putting your fingers on the rear disc after a run on the bike and not having used the rear brake - if the disc is warm/hot then the pads are binding.
As the front brake pads are OK, it would appear that the pads themselves are not at fault i.e. same material front/rear.

If your rear caliper is of the 'floating' type i.e. slides on two pins with the pistons on one side of the caliper only, then a common cause of pad binding is corrosion/lack of lubrication on the slider pins.
This corrosion allows the caliper to operate under brake pressure but it will not retract from the disk.
The lubrication needs to be done at each brake service and I use Red Rubber Grease for this as, using mineral grease will rot the rubber concertina seals over the pins and exacerbate corrosion to the point where the caliper becomes seized to the carrier pins/bushes.
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

Rugbycoach
Country of Residence: Yorkshire

Re: Rear Brake shoe mileage???

Postby Rugbycoach » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:33 pm

Cheers Ced yes I agree with everything you have said I realised i was not going to make the service interval. If that is the norm then not good advert for a bmw convert!
Colin
R1200GSA

Return to “Hexhead (Watercooled R1200) Q&A's”