Moderator: Moderators

milleplod
Forum User
Country of Residence: England

New 1250R and RS

Postby milleplod » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:00 pm

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/model ... 1250r.html

https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/model ... 250rs.html

Still not sure about 'dropped' headlights, they never look quite right to me. Nice bikes though!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

gogs01
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Re: New 1250R and RS

Postby gogs01 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:30 pm

I like the look of the R1250RS (although not some of the colour options), but I think I'd miss some of the creature comforts of my RT for me to change. :smile:
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Richard(Sande)Sanders
Forum User
Country of Residence: Havant, England

Postby Richard(Sande)Sanders » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 pm

The RS was doing ok until it got LED headlights & the multi-function
display. The only info I want on the dash of my bikes is my speed &
engine revs, with the usual idiot lights for oil etc. As for auto headlights,
I still know how to use a switch, & don't need a machine switching the
lights on & off at every bridge or large tree.

gogs01
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: Scotland

Postby gogs01 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:42 pm

The RS was doing ok until it got LED headlights & the multi-function
display. The only info I want on the dash of my bikes is my speed &
engine revs, with the usual idiot lights for oil etc. As for auto headlights,
I still know how to use a switch, & don't need a machine switching the
lights on & off at every bridge or large tree.
I guess we're all different. I can't see anything wrong with LED headlights, and the auto headlight function on my bike can be disabled or the headlight switched on manually when it's wanted (we can probably all use a switch). If in auto it doesn't switch the headlight on at every bridge or large tree, but it does when visibility is reduced and when entering a tunnel, where so many people seem to be happy to ignore the "switch on headlights" signs. What they think is going to happen in a long busy tunnel if the tunnel lighting should suddenly fail I just can't imagine - although I appreciate that's not the fault of the bike / car / van / truck.

Multi function displays can generally be personalised to show as much or as little as you want - the display on my RT defaults to a digital speedo but I can choose the RT logo or a blank screen.

As with much of the latest developments in motorcycling, the new technology isn't essential for us to be able to ride and enjoy riding, but I don't fear it and in fact I find a lot of it useful. But of course that's not to say that I wouldn't enjoy riding a completely analogue bike with carburettors and drum brakes - that's what I started out on after all ..... :smile:
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

midlife crisis
Club Member 13
Country of Residence: England

Postby midlife crisis » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 pm

i want to see what the TFT display actually does so will pop into the dealers to see how it works on the new GS. like the automatic lights find it helpful, also like the indicators automatically turn off. will test ride the 1250RS when it comes to the dealers which i was told would be about February so may get a chance in March. however will also depend on cost as love my 1200RS and am happy with it. I used the configurator on the dutch BMW website and the cost was high though they pay extra tax so might be closer to the current bike price. have to wait and see.
just love riding

Return to “Hexhead (Watercooled R1200) Q&A's”