Rimini, Palermo, Ancona, Split and HOME

Tell us about your travel and trips.....

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
This area is for the stories of your travel and trips. Keep us all enthralled with your adventures...
gogs01
Club Member 14
Country of Residence: Scotland

Rimini, Palermo, Ancona, Split and HOME

Postby gogs01 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:42 pm

My first big trip of this year was planned over the winter. My brother and I (on similar water cooled R1200RTs) would first visit our other brother in Ipswich before taking the Eurotunnel to Coquelles, after which the Garmins would be set to "avoid tolls".

The first day, to Ipswich, was the longest of the trip at 465 miles.The first stop in France was a Campanile in Laon, the second an Ibis Budget in Bourg en Bresse. From there we headed over the Alps into Italy and the highlight of the ride for me - the Col du Mont Cenis. We just had to stop near the top to take in the views (including the snow at the side of the road). One very interesting road, fantastic in the sunshine.

We stopped in an apartment called "Eco Residence" in Casale Monferrato, to the East of Turin. From there, we headed to Rimini, where we had two nights in the Hotel Biancamano. Unfortunately, most of our time there was wet, which was not part of the plan.....

On to Rieti, then Salerno and on to Villa San Giovanni, which is the ferry port for Messina in Sicily. This was our second visit to the Albergo Boccaccio, a very friendly little hotel.

It was raining when we left for the ferry, it rained during the short crossing and it rained almost all the way along the coast road to Palermo. This was not the most enjoyable day, riding a very twisty wet road with shiny tarmac, potholes, patches of gravel and even diesel spills. Even Michelin PR4GTs struggle at times !

It dried up just before we arrived in Palermo but we were still pretty soggy as we checked in to our AirBnB apartment. We had three nights there and enjoyed playing tourist in the sunshine.

The ride back to the ferry took us via Mount Etna to see the lava fields and admire the beautiful scenery of the area, then we got back to the mainland heading for the Albergo Link in Cosenza, the Hotel Valentino in Sora then the Hotel Giada in Silvi. We were heading to Ancona for the ferry to Split in Croatia, which sailed at 20:00 and docked in Split at 07:00.

From Split, we rode up the beautiful Adriatic coast via Zadar and on to Novi Vinodolski. We struggled to find a hotel and ended up in a holiday apartment run by a very strange German gentleman. Good value though.

The coast road up to Slovenia then over the hills to Austria starts out beautiful and just gets better and more interesting all the way. We stopped at a (very) quiet little hamlet called Tweng and sat with a beer watching the bikes go up and down a real biking road.

Our next night was in Schifferstadt in Germany then on to De Panne in Belgium. It made for quite a change, sitting at speeds in excess of 130kph on the autobahn after so many miles on slower roads.

It's only about 45 minutes from De Panne to Coquelles for Le Tunnel Sous La Manche, then it was back to riding on the left. We found a nice hotel near Darrington and from there it was a case of continuing up the A1 to Edinburgh then the M90 to Perth and on to Dundee.

A grand total of 22 days and 4800 miles. Time to start planning the next trip ! :grin:
Cenis_1.jpg
A pause during the ascent of the Col du Mont Cenis. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Club member #480 (membership up to date !)
Current BMW : 2017MY R1200RT LE in Platinum Bronze :smile:
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Galactic Greyhound
Moderator/Club Member

Re: Rimini, Palermo, Ancona, Split and HOME

Postby Galactic Greyhound » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:49 pm

??? Snow! :lol:

Great write up Gordon [gogs01] - hope to hear more about it at the next Northern Meet!

Glad you all got back safe. :grin:
Ced.

R1100RT 1996.
Sent by Boson Quantum Transmission from the Starship 'Galahad'.
http://www.researchgate.net/publication ... ing_bosons" - It works!

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:25 pm

The snow had lasted well, despite the temperatures in excess of 20 degrees. There must have been plenty of it for the skiing in winter !

Unlike the last time we went to Sicily, we got a good view of Mount Etna. The fields of lava in the national park were fascinating, but the little access road is more suitable for off-road bikes than R1200RTs loaded with luggage.
Etna_2.jpg
Etna national park
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous BMWs : R1200RT SE (2007 then 2010), R1200RT 90th Anniversary model (2013). :smile:

Ruralman
Club Member 14

Postby Ruralman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi Gordon,
Great to hear about your trip, love the photo's
Regards
Keith
Keith Hillier
Club Chairman
chairman@bmridersclub.com
----------------------------------
2006 R1200GSA
'Live to ride - ride to live'
\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

ffbikersa
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bosnia-Herzegovina

Postby ffbikersa » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:06 pm

I would say, it's a pity you did not use the Bari-Bar (Montenegro) or Bari-Dubrovnik car ferry, as you missed on the most spectacular section of Croatian side of the Adriatic Coast. Maybe return soon? And get some local knowledge while planning

Makarska Riviera from Mt Biokovo

Cheers,
Tarik
Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina
'93 K1100RS
Tarik
'93 K1100RS

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:43 pm

I would have preferred the Bari - Dubrovnik ferry, but the dates didn't suit my itinerary. :sad:

The coast road all the way up from Dubrovnik is terrific - I rode it a few years ago and it's a lovely part of the world. :grin:

King Herald
Forum User
Country of Residence: United kingdom

Postby King Herald » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:16 am

I went ‘across the waters’ 3 times last year, and reading trip reports like this gives me the urge to go again. I’ve tentatively decided on July 14th to head off on much the same route you took, but I shall head east into Austria this time, as I got a taste of the Swiss mountain passes last year.
1997 BMW R1100R
1993 Honda Transalp 600

gogs01
Club Member 14

Postby gogs01 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:16 am

I went ‘across the waters’ 3 times last year, and reading trip reports like this gives me the urge to go again. I’ve tentatively decided on July 14th to head off on much the same route you took, but I shall head east into Austria this time, as I got a taste of the Swiss mountain passes last year.
I had a couple of days in Austria going from Slovenia to Germany, so I can understand you wanting to spend some time there, and in Switzerland too. The downside of these countries for me is the need for vignettes and the fact that everything is busy and expensive in high season. :shock:
Cost aside, I'm sure you'll have a great time ! :grin:
I'm thinking of a trip later in the year, but I might stick to France. Just need to decide between Alps or Pyrenees.

ffbikersa
Forum User
Country of Residence: Bosnia-Herzegovina

Postby ffbikersa » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:29 am

I had a couple of days in Austria going from Slovenia to Germany, so I can understand you wanting to spend some time there, and in Switzerland too. The downside of these countries for me is the need for vignettes and the fact that everything is busy and expensive in high season. :shock:
Cost aside, I'm sure you'll have a great time ! :grin:
I'm thinking of a trip later in the year, but I might stick to France. Just need to decide between Alps or Pyrenees.
It's possible to get from Croatian part of Istrian peninsula to Trieste, by non-toll Slovene roads, so no need to buy the vignette.

I uploaded two documentaries recorded from Italian state TV channel Rai 1, from a series on motorcycle journeys called "Dreams road", episodes about Montenegro and Croatia:

https://diedokusthedocumentarieslesdocu ... zxvaicnbzi

https://diedokusthedocumentarieslesdocu ... hksk90cx4o

It's worth watching even if one does not have the command of Italian language
Tarik
'93 K1100RS

Return to “Your Travel Tales”